B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My b5 issues list

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:50 AM
1st Gear
Default My b5 issues list

leaking oil - valve cover gaskets (I think)
leaking coolant - reservoir cracked?
horrifying noise when turning the wheel on a cold start - something related to power steering?
heater does not work
the suspension doesn't seem very healthy (weird noises from the driver side when going over bumps)
sunroof does not work
cruise control does not work
one of the engine mounts is broken so the engine will move if the gas pedal is floored
check engine light is on, not sure what the code is yet... this just happened 2 days ago when I floored it onto the freeway with a cold engine.

Things that have been fixed:
mass airflow sensor replaced (car was stalling at low speeds)
coolant sensor replaced (various symptoms)
drain under battery cleaned (water problem solved)
broken cv boots replaced

Other than the issues above the paint is in decent shape. There is a small part near the sunroof that is beginning to lose its protective coating. There are also a few chips on the front of the car from rocks, but nothing too major.
The seats are in decent condition, all tears have been fixed.

What would be an estimate for repairing all of the issues? What would be an estimate for selling the car as is?

It's a 2.8 FWD.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear

for the leaking coolant try replacing the hose clamp. it stopped the leak in my case

Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

Can you do any of the work yourself?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tourbo24
for the leaking coolant try replacing the hose clamp. it stopped the leak in my case
the hose clamp was replaced a while ago and the leaking still continued... there is a bunch of pink-orange residue around the clamp so I think either the hose is leaking or the reservoir is leaking at that point

Originally Posted by RyanSweeney
Can you do any of the work yourself?
some of it can be... some of it may take some serious time to do though (replacing the valve cover gaskets, heater core... etc)

Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 AM
2nd Gear

valve cover gaskets dont take long. i did my first one ever in like 2h and i took some time cleaning it up too.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Actual WIZARD

leaking oil - valve cover gaskets (Correct)
leaking coolant - reservoir cracked? (likely)
horrifying noise when turning the wheel on a cold start - something related to power steering? (need more info, the first and only first time?)
heater does not work (Common, clogged heater core)
the suspension doesn't seem very healthy (weird noises from the driver side when going over bumps) (Common, control arms)
sunroof does not work (Common issue, messed up switch, theres a DIY)
cruise control does not work (another Common problem, the stalk usually fails)
one of the engine mounts is broken so the engine will move if the gas pedal is floored (snub mount, probably needs upgrading)
check engine light is on, not sure what the code is yet... this just happened 2 days ago when I floored it onto the freeway with a cold engine. (Possibly SAI)

Audidiy.com will be your best friend, A lot of your issues are common, and writeups are available

Old 01-11-2011, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Keegan0103
leaking oil - valve cover gaskets (Correct)
leaking coolant - reservoir cracked? (likely)
horrifying noise when turning the wheel on a cold start - something related to power steering? (need more info, the first and only first time?)
heater does not work (Common, clogged heater core)
the suspension doesn't seem very healthy (weird noises from the driver side when going over bumps) (Common, control arms)
sunroof does not work (Common issue, messed up switch, theres a DIY)
cruise control does not work (another Common problem, the stalk usually fails)
one of the engine mounts is broken so the engine will move if the gas pedal is floored (snub mount, probably needs upgrading)
check engine light is on, not sure what the code is yet... this just happened 2 days ago when I floored it onto the freeway with a cold engine. (Possibly SAI)

Audidiy.com will be your best friend, A lot of your issues are common, and writeups are available
Thanks, I will check that site out.
It's good to hear most of my issues are common.

As for the horrifying noise when turning the wheel, it seems to happen whenever the front tires are turned to the left. If I don't turn the wheel at all there is no weird noise. Also If I let the car idle and warm up for about 10 min the noise doesn't happen.
If I move the wheel left and right a lot and then let go, the noise occurs but at a weaker magnitude.
I lifted the hood up and it sounds like it is coming from the engine.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Edit: Found a link

Last edited by A4Money_pit; 01-12-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

I've been reading a lot of different stories about similar symptoms I have with the power steering issue and I think the cause is from a leak somewhere in the PS system.
I usually have to add PS fluid about once every month or so...
I bet the noise I am hearing is due to air bubbles in the PS system. Can anyone share insight?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:33 AM
y^0
1st Gear

just something that i noticed on my a4: i had oil leaking from the drain plug so i put an o-ring on it and voila! it stopped leaking! if you want to try this, i can probably mail you one (i have tons since i play paintball pretty frequently) if you would like.

Quick Reply: My b5 issues list