B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My B5 A4 1.8T Q M5 got totaled :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

I want to fix the door myself. Few questions:

1) What do I need to do to make sure the front/side/curtain airbags don't go off when I'm messing with this door? I may take the interior panel off and try and bang the dents out from the inside.

2) How can I tell if the body door frame is straight to accept a straight door?
I don't want to open the door (even if I could) because I need it shut to drive.

3) Is there a way for me to straighten the body for a new door or how much would this cost for a shop to do it?

4) And are the door hinges weak on this car? Can I reasonably hope the body door hinges are straight or should I assume they are messed up.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Frozenguy
I want to fix the door myself. Few questions:

1) What do I need to do to make sure the front/side/curtain airbags don't go off when I'm messing with this door? I may take the interior panel off and try and bang the dents out from the inside.
Disconnect the battery and don't touch the airbag connector without discharging your body's static electricity first. You could bang the dents out for the most part but you'd have to be an artist to get it to look right. IMO that door is history.

2) How can I tell if the body door frame is straight to accept a straight door?
I don't want to open the door (even if I could) because I need it shut to drive.
You'd need the chassis alignment diagrams to show you cross-measurement points and you'd probably need the door open or off to check the doorframe. You'd also have to open it to remove the inner workings of the door to pound out the dents.

3) Is there a way for me to straighten the body for a new door or how much would this cost for a shop to do it?
No. Unibody machines cost a fortune and you'd need one. You'll have to call around for time estimates and rates. Shops vary on what they charge.

4) And are the door hinges weak on this car? Can I reasonably hope the body door hinges are straight or should I assume they are messed up.
Taking a hit like that, I'd assume they're damaged. They're beefy but they got hit by 3200lbs of moving metal. Get hinges with the door.