B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My A4 went pooof and died.....Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 AM
3rd Gear

the next piece is verification of the ability of a cylinder to pump air. This measurement is known as compression.
i guess everyone is just interchanging "air" with "compression", though "air" isnt really an accurate description, and they arent really the same thing. air is always present, compression is not. and you can actually pump air without compression, so that really isnt accurate either.

and the odds of snapping a crankshaft from the belt not moving are virtually impossible
the crankshaft itself, yes. but lots of people shear off the key or keyway itself on the end of the crank so that the timing cog spins freely. if the timing belt looks perfectly intact but doesnt move when you try to crank the engine, that is what happened.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM

i found a complete motor for my 99.5 1.8tqm for $675 on craigslist

Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Ok guys I got an update. So my mechanic calls me after almost a week. So he said that the camshaft gear (he gave me model # 027109111H) broke off and that the timing belt was bad. The screw that holds the gear broke too. Now he wants me to buy the timing belt and the gear to test out the engine to see if the valves are ok. What do you guys think? Should I spend the money (he quoted me about $250 labor plus parts) Is there a way to test to see if the engine is ok? Or do I have to get the parts and then to find out the valves are bad? He told me he took for ever to take off the front of the car to get to the belt. Looks like parts would total $100 or so. So what you guys think. Is the engine ok?

Last edited by Novoken; 11-25-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:25 AM

There's a cover that takes two minutes to see the timing belt. Can do compression check to check valves, but would need to rotate the cam. All mechanics should have a scope to look inside the chambers too.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 AM
3rd Gear

if you were driving on the highway when the belt snapped, then tried to turn over the engine afterward, there almost zero chance that you didnt damage any valves. if you pay him to put on a new timing belt and stuff just to see if theres damage, you will only be paying him to remove it all again and pull the head.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
if you were driving on the highway when the belt snapped, then tried to turn over the engine afterward, there almost zero chance that you didnt damage any valves. if you pay him to put on a new timing belt and stuff just to see if theres damage, you will only be paying him to remove it all again and pull the head.
Hmm so no point of buying the parts and having him install it for testing? So what you guys think, should I get another engine or sell the car as is? Im going to the mechanic tomorrow to look at the car, what should I look for to tell me that valves are bad?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 PM
4th Gear

well if u have any mechanical inclination at all... just buy new valves and take it to a head specialty shop and have them do it... most mechanics are gonna charge way too much cuz they dont know much about audi or german cars in general, but if u trust this guy then i would do some price shopping, and compare how much it would be to buy new parts and repair... or how much u could get for selling the car and if u would have enough to buy another afterwards

Old 11-26-2009, 06:02 PM
3rd Gear

i would pull the plugs and look in the cylinders with a bright light. look for any marks on the top of the pistons or metal filings. you really cant see much damage without pulling the head off though. it shouldnt be much labor for him to just pull it off and look. once you know the extent of the damage then you can go from there.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

I wont be able to do the work since I dont have any tools or time now. Right now he will charge me $100 just for what he has done. I could ask him to take off the head and see how much he will charge me for doing that. What would cause the gear brake off? If the cam went bad would it damage the valves?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Mechanic was closed today kill me........

Quick Reply: My A4 went pooof and died.....Help