B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

my a4 quattro is stuck in 5th gear. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:10 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy my a4 quattro is stuck in 5th gear. any suggestions?

hey guys,

im new to this site and would appreciate any suggestions on my car troubles. i recently purchased a 98 audi a4 quattro. this car ran great until i changed the plugs yesterday. while changing the plugs i broke the breather hose that connects to the valve cover ( already have one on order, 50 bucks for this shitty hose), so i continued to change my plugs and duct taped the part of the hose that i broke. i noticed a lot of sludge build up in the hose. anyways, when i went to drive my car, it shifted really hard into drive and into reverse. when i took it for a spin around the neighbor hood, it seemed like it was stuck in drive. it wont shift through the gears. the triptronic doesn't work either and the gear light on the dash doesnt change as well. any information would be great .

thanks
matt

Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 AM
2nd Gear

You need to take it to an independent audi mechanic...it sounds like you are low on tranny fluid. That "y" pipe in the back deals with crankcase vent, pcv, stuff and shouldn't, i believe, have anything to do with your tranny. If you know someone with a VAGCOM, they can certainly help in pin-pointing what exactly is going on with your stuff. I can tell you that dirty electrical connections on your tranny can mess with how it works. Also, there really is no way to check your tranny fluid level, as in with a dipstick. I honestly would recommend not driving it, and get a buddy with a VAG and see what it brings up.