B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

(My 1st Post) Question about A4 Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Default (My 1st Post) Question about A4 Air Bag Light

Hello everyone...
I'm close to buying an 01 A4 turbo. I have 2 cars to choose. both 2001 turbocharged model. The one that I like (black) has the airbag light on, the other doesn't (Maroon). The black one has aftermarket 18" wheels and springs, maroon is stock. both cars has 120k+ miles, all service maintenance done. asking price for the maroon is $200 cheaper than the black.

The seller mentioned it's from the ground wires under the seats that caused it. I live in VA and I'm sure it will not pass the safety inspection. He's giving me a good deal for his car. Should get the car?

Is buying this ebay vagcom USB cable will solve the problem?

This is my very first german car so for all who experience this issue, I would appreciate if you can give me your input.

Thank you

Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Administrator

You're correct, you won't pass inspection with your airbag light on.

On the up side, it is possible that the seller is telling you the truth about the cause. There's a connector under the driver's seat that's known for getting loose and causing that light to come on. The fix is to just zip tie the two halves of the connector together and then clear the air bag light with Vag Com. It will not go out on its own after you've fixed it.

On the other hand, its very possible that he's full of **** lol. There's something to be said for buying a completely stock car. FWIW, there are quite a few people around here (including myself) who can clear that light for you if you wish.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

Thank you...
I live in Sterling too
So what do you think? should I get the black one or the maroon?

Originally Posted by CCA4
You're correct, you won't pass inspection with your airbag light on.

On the up side, it is possible that the seller is telling you the truth about the cause. There's a connector under the driver's seat that's known for getting loose and causing that light to come on. The fix is to just zip tie the two halves of the connector together and then clear the air bag light with Vag Com. It will not go out on its own after you've fixed it.

On the other hand, its very possible that he's full of **** lol. There's something to be said for buying a completely stock car. FWIW, there are quite a few people around here (including myself) who can clear that light for you if you wish.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Well. All I can give you is my personal opinion.

Personally, I prefer black to maroon (which i believe is called either Hibiscus Red or Autumn Red, I forget which), even though the maroon car is more rare. How long until the current inspection on the car is up? Does it have any other idiot lights on? If the air bag module was bad, I think you'd also be seeing a check engine light and a solid brake light on the dash. If you don't see those, odds are its just the connector under the seat and an easy fix. The worst case scenario is that your air bag module took a dump and you'll have to send it out to get replaced. There are plenty of relatively cheap ways to do this, but it would involve down time as I don't believe you can drive the car without it. Springs and wheels are two popular upgrades for these cars, so with the black one you wouldn't have to worry about that. What other options does each car have? Transmission? Sport package? Do you have pictures of either one? You mentioned both were 2001 1.8T's, which would be the AWM engine code, same as mine. If it were me, knowing what I was getting myself into, I'd go with the black one.

If you do decide to go that route, I'd be happy to give the car a once over and clear that airbag light for you.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

As far as i know that's the only error light that's showing. No CEL or brake light. both cars are from MD.
Both leather seats and manual trans. Maroon has power and heated seats.
black has 123k miles, maroon has 120k. black has 18" BBS wheels, maroon is stock. both AWD.

Can you clear the code for me if i get the black?

Well. All I can give you is my personal opinion.

Personally, I prefer black to maroon (which i believe is called either Hibiscus Red or Autumn Red, I forget which), even though the maroon car is more rare. How long until the current inspection on the car is up? Does it have any other idiot lights on? If the air bag module was bad, I think you'd also be seeing a check engine light and a solid brake light on the dash. If you don't see those, odds are its just the connector under the seat and an easy fix. The worst case scenario is that your air bag module took a dump and you'll have to send it out to get replaced. There are plenty of relatively cheap ways to do this, but it would involve down time as I don't believe you can drive the car without it. Springs and wheels are two popular upgrades for these cars, so with the black one you wouldn't have to worry about that. What other options does each car have? Transmission? Sport package? Do you have pictures of either one? You mentioned both were 2001 1.8T's, which would be the AWM engine code, same as mine. If it were me, knowing what I was getting myself into, I'd go with the black one.

If you do decide to go that route, I'd be happy to give the car a once over and clear that airbag light for you.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator

99% it's the connection exactly as Chris described. If they're in similar shape mechanically, then it comes to color preference. Regardless, if you're buying an Audi, Vagcom is the best tool you can buy.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

So get the black one then?

Last edited by jj fad; 08-08-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Administrator

I'd say go with the black one. I can definitely clear that airbag light for ya. Those wheels are sick.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

I'd say go with the black one. I can definitely clear that airbag light for ya. Those wheels are sick.
Thank you Chris... Really appreciate it.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM

Definitely in agreement with CCA4... wish my car looked like that

Also have to completely agree with ImTheDevil about VAG-COM. It's the single most useful tool for our cars. It's also the single most expensive tool but considering a shop would charge one hour to use theirs ($60-100/hr) even for just a minute, VAG-COM pays for itself quite quickly. Better yet you can make a "friend" and pay him to use VAG-COM with beer

Quick Reply: (My 1st Post) Question about A4 Air Bag Light