B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Motor removal/Front clip removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

Can someone direct me to the how to for the front clip.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:24 AM
2nd Gear

Disconnect your negative battery terminal and move it aside. Pop off lower grills, theres an allen headed bolt on the top of the recess. Its a long one, you'll hate it. Then you take off the bumper by pushing in and down. There are three hooks/claws holding it on, two up top one on the bottom. Its a pain in the ***, just gotta fiddle with it. Then pull the bumper out a bit, and disconnect the headlight washer line, (drivers side) and have a bucket ready. Now you're ready for the bumper shocks. Make sure that battery cable is off, then use your Torx head to undo the 7 or 8 bolts holding the two large black forks sticking out. You'll also need a 10mm socket to get the retaining nut. Move these aside, not which is which side. Next its time to drain the coolant, which can be found at the bottom drivers side of the radiator. Remove the expansion tank cap first. Undo the screw out plug, catch the coolant and prepare it for proper disposal. Protect the environment my friend. Then you can begin to disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses. There's a screw clamp and two metal clips that just need to have the metal wire pulled out to release it. At this point you're ready to remove or at least disconnect the headlights, which are wire spring connections again. Now you should be ready to take off the core support. Its four bolts up top, right next to the fender and on on each side, holding the black core support to the metal fender support. Those last six bolts are all thats left. The only thing holding you back now is the A/C condenser, which is the black bar and fin panel in front of the radiator. No need to remove or disconnect this, as you can swing the entire core support to the passneger side thanks to flexible refrigerant hoses. Viola! There's your engine bay in all it's splendor and you are now in service position. I've got my time down to an hour! You may want to remove the lower intercooler pipe, the metal pipe that runs under the motor to... the intercooler! Again, two screw clamps, then you can check this pipe for excessive oil and or metal shards, which hopefully you dont have. All this information, and much much more is included in a Blauparts timing belt kit instructions. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

^^ Thanks man I really appreciate it. Im going to take a second shot at during the week or sunday.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

For the motor..Do I take the rotors and brakes off to pull the front axles and do I have to remove the allen head bolts on the front axles and drive shaft?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Slut

Why are you taking the halfshafts out to pull the motor?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

I dont understand what has to be dropped..I unbolted the front part of the drive shaft. Do the axles just pull out?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Slut

Are you pulling the trans too? Because none of that needs to come out for just the motor. But the halfshafts bolt in if you are taking them out. There are 6 or 8 bolts with poly, allen, or torx heads on them depending on what audi decided to put in yours lol.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

No I didnt want to. Do I have to unbolt the trans mounts either?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Slut

No, the only stuff you have to mess with on the trans is the starter and bell housing bolts.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
No, the only stuff you have to mess with on the trans is the starter and bell housing bolts.
So just pull the starter and undo bell housing bolts pull axles and unhook wiring harness and other stuff and shes ready to come out?.

Do I have to take off the rotors and brakes and remove that center nut to pull the axles?

Quick Reply: Motor removal/Front clip removal