B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

motor mount Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: motor mount Q

yeah im not 100% sure what turbo setup im gunna go with but i would like to have power somewhere between 400-450whp. i also plan on letting the car see plenty of track time once its all set up, thats kinda what i like to do for vacations, is just find an open track day thats somewhere i can drive my car to and spend a few days haha.
i gotta go and talk to my tuner if i ever get a day off and start really looking into the details of how much its gunna be, and what i can do and what i would need him to do, cause i dont have the tools or experience to attempt this all by myself the first time. dont get me wrong ill be there through every step, but im not gunna try everything in my driveway (not to mention then my parents would start asking questions haha). i mean for once in my life im not worried about spending the extra cash to get this done right, but im not trying to just get the most expensive set up cause that takes away from money for other mods like coils, wheels & tires andthe tranny. (and yes i know a new clutch is the first thing on my list.)

Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
4th Gear

theres really isnt any vibration with 034 unless you ordered their snub bracket the stock bracket is way too small for the 034/greedspeed snub (same thing just cheaper with greedspeed) i also noticed that i had to pull the bracket down until the top of the snub was touching the snub otherwise it pretty much just had too much slack on top, i dotn feel much vibration although there is some but thats more likely due to the track density mounts in my car.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
5th Gear

^i think you messed up a few words in there. the stock bracket is too big. and how does the top of the snub touch the snub?

i think what you were saying is you used the stock bracket with the greedspeed snub, and then pulled the bracket down enough so the top of the bracket is touching the top of the snub and then tightened it down. is that right? if so, thats an interesting solution.

cause i tried running the 034 snub with the stock bracket and it had some major engine movement problems, but it had a small gap between the snub and the top of the bracket.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

well i pretty much threw this idea out the window today when i went down to my tuner and started talking real business. my goal is ~370 hp on pump and ~450 on race. after talking with them for about an hour(and missing a class) i think i pretty much decided on what im doing. im basically gunna have the entire motor rebuilt, from the bottom up, im probably gunna go with a GT30 or bigger series turbo, new pistons, rods, rebuilt head ect. their gunna tune it (unitronics) and im gunna get a new FMIC and piping, as well as a t.p. and a muffler(yes im finally sick of the open pipes). theres a ton of other things their gunna do to the engine, including the mounts(they were saying s4 mounts would be fine)and im probably gunna get coils, and a new clutch was on the list too. the total price for EVERYTHING is about 11k. id say thats pretty reasonable considering the price for all the parts is around 9k. as of now everything is still just words, and by the summer ill know a lot more about what im doing, and when its gunna happen(just waitin on the check haha)

now all i gotta really think about is if i wanna have 400+ hp on pump gas, then they were talking about a GT35 turbo at least.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM

wow, sounds intense....I am going to have to say that you may be better off with another car possibly....for this money and your car you can have an S4 with twin Ko4s

sounds hectic....

aren't S4 motor mounts the same as A4?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: 01afour

well i pretty much threw this idea out the window today when i went down to my tuner and started talking real business. my goal is ~370 hp on pump and ~450 on race. after talking with them for about an hour(and missing a class) i think i pretty much decided on what im doing. im basically gunna have the entire motor rebuilt, from the bottom up, im probably gunna go with a GT30 or bigger series turbo, new pistons, rods, rebuilt head ect. their gunna tune it (unitronics) and im gunna get a new FMIC and piping, as well as a t.p. and a muffler(yes im finally sick of the open pipes). theres a ton of other things their gunna do to the engine, including the mounts(they were saying s4 mounts would be fine)and im probably gunna get coils, and a new clutch was on the list too. the total price for EVERYTHING is about 11k. id say thats pretty reasonable considering the price for all the parts is around 9k. as of now everything is still just words, and by the summer ill know a lot more about what im doing, and when its gunna happen(just waitin on the check haha)

now all i gotta really think about is if i wanna have 400+ hp on pump gas, then they were talking about a GT35 turbo at least.
gt3076r will put you way above those numbers. you can run 400 on pump easily with the 3076, i wouldn't advise a gt35r, especially on stock displacement. you dont need new pistons, the stock mahle's have been proven to 700hp. you will need new rods tho. you definitely dont need a rebuilt head. and get 034 mounts

if you just want 400chp daily, i would get a 50 trim. you wont have to touch the internals so it would be MUCH cheaper, but running a race file pushing it to its max might not be safe for the rods (tho im gona try it[8D])

if you still want to go with a 30 series, 11k is WAY too much. if your going this route you should be talking to Mike Hood. He'll hook you up with the best prices. he offers a 3076r, fullrace manifold, dp, and wg for under 3k. all the other parts will run another 3k so thats 6k in total. if i were you, i would just have the shop drop in some rods (and pistons if you want to spend the extra money, but its not needed) set aside a weekend, find a friend who knows his way around a car and do everything yourself. if your not gona DIY, at least buy all the parts. call the shop and ask them how much they would charge to put everything in, if you bought the parts. guarantee it'll be way cheaper

Old 03-05-2008, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear

well heres the thing, the 11k would be for a entirely machined and rebuilt, and bord out to a 2.0L, and a new clutch and fully adjustable coils. but i later realized that even though i would be able to make some money selling the parts i have, i dont have the 11k to lay out and then sit on parts.

however i got a little more realistic for something i can do this summer. im probably gunna go with a stage 5 clutch, new rods, and a bt setup running about 28 or so pounds (not exactly sure what turbo but i wanna set up for a gt series) my goal for this summer is 300 on pump gas, and then a set of coilovers to top it off.

then im gunna find another block, and start building it from the ground, up. once thats done im gunna hve the engines swapped and sell then one i have in it now.