B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Mods + high miles = ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Mods + high miles = ?

Well hi again everyone.

Since i got my car about 4 months ago it's been really great. I love driving it but as you all know it's grandma-style slow and i'm itching to squeeze some performance out of it.

Winter is almost over and i'm ready to start doing some mods to my car, since snowboarding season is no longer draining my cash flow. I plan on adding some basic things this summer - APR chip, boost guage, coilovers, etc.

My only concern is the fact that my car has a lot of miles on it - just hit 138,000. I'm worried that the increase in boost pressure and strain on the engine is gonna start causing serious malfunctions once i chip it.

So here's my question, does anyone else have a higher mileage car that's modded? How did it turn out? Did things wind up being okay or is it a bad idea to demand more from the engine when it's so old?

Thanks in advance guys

Old 03-23-2008, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Mods + high miles = ?

Whenever someone asks those questions, people reply that it depends on how well your engine was maintained. Because it does. If you take care of the car and it was taken care of before you, you should be fine.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: sineo

Whenever someone asks those questions, people reply that it depends on how well your engine was maintained. Because it does. If you take care of the car and it was taken care of before you, you should be fine.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah if you kept it in good shape the 4 months you owned it and the people before you kept up on all the service you should be fine. On the other hand if you don't have the service records ehhhh you taking a chance.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Do a compression check on it (you can get the gauge at a parts store for about $25), and have a leakdown test done. That'll tell you the general health of the engine as far as cylinder sealing, which is important when raising boost (not that it isn't anyhow). Do those, do a complete Seafoam treatment to flush the crud out of your car, and you might want new plugs (regapped to .028) for a potentially cleaner burn. Might look into replacing your fuel filter too, so you don't risk faltering fuel flow under additional boost. Go over the car's vacuum lines too and see if any look brittle or cracked, and replace those too.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:16 PM

in my opinion, i love my a4 so much , that if the engine blew , ill be putting a new one in. im at 102k and im most likely gonna mod the **** out of it. thats how i feel.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

The guy that sold it to me had all of the work done at the dealership while he had it. There was a stack of maintenance receipts in the little folder with all the warranty info and owners manual. i've even got the original window sticker. The 2 people who had it before me were at least in their 30's and probably didn't abuse it (hopefully)

in the time i've had it i've put on a new set of tires and replaced the 2 front CJ joint/axle assemblies. I changed the oil 5000 miles ago and i'm gonna do it again next week. Before i chip it i plan on getting new spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter, replace vacuum check valves, little stuff like that.

And lately i've been driving pretty lightly, shifting before 3000 rpms and going either the speed limit or 5 under. The engine runs really smooth and it idles nice and steady. It doesn't make any funny noises or anything when its running

I have confidence in the car.... thanks for the replies you guys

Old 03-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Sounds like the car is solid - you probably won't have any trouble modding. If you're going to change the oil next week, it'd be a good time to do the Seafoam treatment. Search "seafoam" on here and you'll find about 34029340928348787 posts about it.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 PM
5th Gear

most of the time, its perfectly fine. you wana be extra sure just do a compression check

Old 03-23-2008, 05:42 PM
4th Gear

theres a guy on audi world with 200k+ on his 1.8t and he not only has it heavily modded but he beats on it and tracks often

Quick Reply: Mods + high miles = ?