B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Modifications on the smaller side of things..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Modifications on the smaller side of things..

Hey all, so I've been wanting to do some small mods to my '98 just to make it a bit more "mine". My top priority should be a simple switch of the pedals to the TT pedals, but I was wondering if it is possible to find a model of them anywhere that fits the B5?

And secondly, My main goal for the summer is to eventually replace the exhaust system, yet I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Welcome to AF. Read the stickies, use teh searchez.

I've not seen an exact model of the TT pedals, and god help you if you try to buy them from Audi lol. You might try eBay or ECS (ECStuning.com doesn't have TT pedals but they have something similar as i recall)

The exhaust is going to depend LARGELY on your motor. You should make a signature with some info about your car: year, motor, transmission, mods, etc. That will help everyone help you.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

if you have a 1.8 i absolutely love my techtonics exhaust. uses borla mufflers with larger tubing than the actual borla exhaust.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Administrator

I suggest facelifting your car if you haven't already. They really upgrade the look of the car.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
4th Gear

That would include one piece headlights, clear corners, clear side markers, and new style taillights, and I believe new fog lightsas well. Just thought I would add since Krip was so vague in his response...

I have a NeuSpeed cat-back for my 1.8T, and I love it, not to say mine is any better or worse than Audacity's Techtonics. I did notice an increase in response and a quicker spool, and the sound is low and has a nice growl to it.

As for pedals, take a look here: http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1031

Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

Hey again!

So first off, thanks for the excellent replies, and secondly, i'm sorry for my stupidity regarding not searching/reading the important posts.

Anyways, I have decided to go for the APR ECU for my B5 1.8t, as it is advertised to run an extra 50hp. For those that have used this, about how much extra wear would this put on the other running parts?

Also, for the exhaust, the Neuspeed cat-back is looking pretty grand, but it seems like its between that or the APR cat-back... I'll keep you guys in the loop, and i'll always be open for other suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by Bajorito; 06-27-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
So stupid me realized that on the B5, the pedals themselves aren't replaceable and instead i'd have to exchange the entire frame/ arm of it.. so I'm pretty lost on that

Old 06-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Administrator

I run GIAC chip (pretty much equivalent to APR) and beyond happy with it. I remember the first time I had it chipped, it totally felt like a brand new car.

Several things to consider replacing are hoses, DV (diverter valve), and other parts that might need to be replaced. The chip will let you boost a lot more power out of the turbo, in which many older parts/hoses might be cracked and need to be replaced. Replacing them will give you more assurance and to prevent the thing we all hate, boost leaks.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

ahh of course, that's definitely a good thing to keep in mind, and I'll have a thorough check done. So the beginniner's guide recommends GIAC over APR, and would you recommend that as well then? According to http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=54, it appears there's a few different choices that would fit, and they all look the same to me... do you know if i would get the 50 hp the APR claims to add as well?

Last edited by Bajorito; 06-28-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Administrator

IIRC (I had my first GIAC chip a while ago when the car was new) GIAC claimed a bit more HP than APR for their stage 1. I'm not completely sure if APR has improved their chips by this time for the B5. It was rare and almost unheard of for a B5 getting chipped with/by APR several years ago. APR was more popular in the B6 crowd.

You also have to know that the 50HP they claimed is to the crank, not wheels. I assure you that you'd feel the HP but you won't be putting out +50 to the wheels.

Quick Reply: Modifications on the smaller side of things..