B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

misfire or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear

I've been having the same issues, and I'm using the K&N I had even more retarded issues when I first put that K&N in the car. And cleaning the MAF solved it. It's pretty cold here now and my car is starting to run like crap when it starts up. Later on it runs smooth, but at WOT, I'm having the exact same issues as you.

I'm starting to come over to the side of thinking that a K&N really is crap in these cars.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

I bought some fuel injector cleaner and that maf cleaner spray yesterday. This morning on the way to work, I put in the fuel injector cleaner when I got gas and I noticed a huge difference after driving for a while. That could have been the whole problem but at lunch I also cleaned the maf just in case. I'll know for sure if everything's cool on the way home since my house is 50 mi. away lol.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear

I don't know what else to do anymore besides living with it or by throwing more money at the problem. After cleaning the maf and putting in fuel injector cleaner I noticed a slight improvement, but the problem is still there unfortunately. I remember this started happening shortly after putting in another used DV, so could that possibly be related to the problem? If not, the only other thing I can think of is to start replacing old parts with new ones probably in this order. Forge DV, new MAF, new fuel pump, new injectors. Any thoughts, suggestions? I'm tired of throwing money at the car for replacement parts though. I had hopes of modding this car at the beginning but something always seems to get in the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for helping me vent a little too.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Slut

did you ever scan it for misfire codes? the check engine light doesnt always flash on lighter misfires, but that doesnt mean it didnt store any codes.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
did you ever scan it for misfire codes? the check engine light doesnt always flash on lighter misfires, but that doesnt mean it didnt store any codes.
I never really thought about doing that. Thanks. I'm going to check it with my scan tool as soon as I get a chance. Maybe it'll show something, who knows. I'll post up what happens.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 AM
2nd Gear

I checked the car with my scan tool and not one code showed up. One detailed bit of information I can give is that this only happens under boost. I can have the car in 3rd at 1500 rpm and when I floor it, the car starts to shake/studder exactly at around 2500 rpm. every time. Do you think a boost gauge is the best thing to get next for checking things out or should I just look into getting those other things that I mentioned earlier like a new MAF etc.?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

I Think there are three threads worth of this problem now haha.

Are you running a stock ecu? sorry if you mentioned it, I dont remember.

Also, a boost gauge is deff. important as you can tell at what psi it is happening, Because if that relates to whats happenening Im going to say something to do with a vac line or the dv. I'm going to lean more towards dv though.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Thank you so much for the idea of getting out my scan tool!

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
I Think there are three threads worth of this problem now haha.

Are you running a stock ecu? sorry if you mentioned it, I dont remember.

Also, a boost gauge is deff. important as you can tell at what psi it is happening, Because if that relates to whats happenening Im going to say something to do with a vac line or the dv. I'm going to lean more towards dv though.
Ok, I have no idea if I even have a stock ecu or not to be honest, but the problem is solved!!!! I decided to get my scan tool out one more time to check for codes again and nothing showed up again. Then I just reset the ecu by pressing 'clear' for the hell of it, not thinking anything would change. Magically, the problem instantly went away! I swear, I went wot like 20 times today because I couldn't believe the car was running perfectly. For the first time since I've owned this car, I was able to spin the wheels all the way through second gear and then chirp in third. I saved myself a load of money not getting that other stuff yet, although a boost gauge is definitely my next mod to see exactly what the hell my boost level is at.

So I'm guessing, the fuel injector cleaner and the MAF cleaner really did make a difference and the ecu just had to be reset in order to read everything properly? I hope this is the answer to the same problem everyone else is having in those other threads. There's no harm trying and it's very cheap ha, ha.

Thank you so much for all those who replied!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:54 AM
1st Gear

Wow I can't believe that worked.

Well I mean I never reset my ecu when I got the turbo so I think im going to clear it manually but killing the power and see if I can re map it that way in addition to clearing my code.

Thanks for the update!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
Wow I can't believe that worked.

Well I mean I never reset my ecu when I got the turbo so I think im going to clear it manually but killing the power and see if I can re map it that way in addition to clearing my code.

Thanks for the update!
No problem. I hope it works out for you too. I think our ecu's have a slight learning disability ha, ha. I wouldn't be surprised if you would have to reset the damn thing just for changing the exhaust

Quick Reply: misfire or something else?