B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Misfire/Low Oil Pressure 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Misfire/Low Oil Pressure 1.8t

So up here in maine it started to turn into warm weather and I decided to put my summer wheels on my a4 and start driving it a little more, I made it about 3 miles from my house and even though I slowed to almost a hault I TRASHED the oil pan. I had the car towed to my shop which was great because all the other techs were watching as I was already late for work. I took the day to replace the oil pan, which on this model is the kind you have to lower the subframe to get to, cleaned the pickup tube and adjusted the coilovers to near factory height. Figured I was ready to roll, so that night I took it up the road for a little spin, its no big deal to leave it at the shop or have it down as I have another a4. During that ride the oil pressure light came on, so when the light came out I got out and listened to the motor, it sounded great, no noises whatsoever, but no matter what its still an oil pressure light, so I went back to the shop and replaced the oil pressure sensor, It was a shot in the dark but I figured I would try. And drove the car approx. 5 miles to the interstate with no lights, let it idle at the gas station while I pumped gas, ran beautiful, until I got on the interstate, I let it boost ONCE in 3rd getting on the interstate and boom, the car shuts off, when i restart it, its idling terrible, dumping far too much fuel and misfiring like crazy. So in fear I ruined my car, and it being 2am and I didnt want to wake my boss or any of the other guys that tow for us, I PUSHED the car to a restaurant 2 miles up the road after I coasted off the interstate. The next day I went and started the car with the MAF unplugged and surprisingly it ran fine, drove it back to the shop where it misfired some but not terribly bad, so I assumed it was the MAF, nope, ignition module, nope, coils/plugs, nope, boost leak, nope, throttle body, nope, coolant temp sensor, nope, ECM, nope, so really i guess im looking for advice on both of these issues, PS I pulled bearing caps with the oil pan off and no scoring and pulled the valve cover and its definitely getting oil up top, I even pulled a couple caps off the cam just to make sure. I know I havent compression checked yet or tested for fuel pressure but inevidably thats really the last thing I want to do. Basically, Im scared of the result. I'm an audi/vw tech and we're 3 weeks backed up so even though I have a motor for the car its kind of the last thing I have time for. Also its AEB engine code, hence the ignition module. I have an 02 a4 1.8t also

Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

really..??? nothing? i dont care if its mindless jargon that makes me sleep better at night I would like to have some sort of input before i drop a new motor in it and trade it towards a TT

Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Slut

It's not often that a tech comes here asking for help. I would think your co workers would be the best help. But, as far as the misfire, I'd check to make sure you didn't knock a ground loose while in the, especially the coilpack ground on the valve cover. As for the oil pressure problem I would read the following link. It's a good read and freshens your memory on oil pressure. Good luck http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1097.html

Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

see, thats the thing, ive traced all the grounds and looked through everything, i feel like low compression is the cause but i totally gave up on looking at it, im going to put another motor in it this weekend i suppose. i just joined this website because i felt like maybe getting some insight, sometimes the hardest problems to solve are your own, all the other techs basically left it at, put a new motor in it, i kind of wanted a bit more information before i swap motors