B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

might be getting an audi

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default might be getting an audi

new to the site here.
my buddy has a 98 a4 quattro w 150k that he no longer wants. he got it with the intent to do a lil work to it and flip it because he got it fairly cheap 2200. the clutch went on it and he just doesnt have the time to fix it. he told me he'd give it to me for a grand (and i could give him the $$ whenever i get it) i just have to fix it myself. ive done tons of work on my lincoln mark vii's (pulled motors, converted to 5spd, gutted an entire car, almost every part between the two cars ive had my hands on) so i think i could do this myself. he said the timing belt and rear shocks should also be changed sooner then later. is this car worth the work it needs (no rust pretty solid car)? im just not too familure with these cars (ive changed oil on them but thats nothing). he also has a the new clutch and the exhaust already cut off. anything else i should be worried about with these cars? exatly how tough are these cars to work on? how many hours for the clutch and timing belt (not at the same time)?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:53 PM

How much money do you have to put into it and how much time do you have? These cars are awesome but they do cost more to maintain than most (especially when it comes to suspension parts).

Expect to pay $500 at the very minimum for clutch parts, around $250 MINIMUM for the timing belt (which is very very very important), rear shocks are like 6 bolts to change and a couple hundred bucks. They're harder to work on than most cars but not MR2 status. The clutch is a pain in the *** but it's definitely doable.

I would JUMP on a quattro/manual A4 for $1k. I bought mine for $8500 3 years ago and have changed the timing belt, rebuilt the engine, changed the clutch twice, and replaced the suspension. LOL.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

i dont have a ton of money since most of it will be going toward my two mark vii's. but the new clutch comes with the car not sure what kind it is but he said he paid 250 for it. he said the timing belt was like 125. im sure they are pricey to keep up with because parts are expensive, but as long as its not like my lincoln where im always doing something to it. i want something dependable for once lol.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

im also just north of boston ma so i get a lot of snow. how are these cars in the winter with the awd? im sure it must feel like a dream compaired to my rwd mk7, and the 88 mustang i just totaled lol. do they need snow tires or are they already winter ready?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 PM

these car dominate in the snow, especially with snow tires. I was passing 2wd cars with 225/45-17 summer tires without slipping while they were putting on chains last winter. I'd get all seasons at the very least because the stopping distances with non-winter tires are still awful.

timing belt kit (you want the new waterpump with the metal impeller, too).
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...g_Belt/ES1342/

I haven't had much luck with the dependability of my car, but they're very reliable for the most part. Just make sure you use 5w-30 or 5w-40 FULL synthetic oil with a good filter and change it every ~3k miles because these cars destroy oil.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM

these car dominate in the snow, especially with snow tires. I was passing 2wd cars with 225/45-17 summer tires without slipping while they were putting on chains last winter. I'd get all seasons at the very least because the stopping distances with non-winter tires are still awful.

timing belt kit (you want the new waterpump with the metal impeller, too).
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...g_Belt/ES1342/

I haven't had much luck with the dependability of my car, but they're very reliable for the most part. Just make sure you use 5w-30 or 5w-40 FULL synthetic oil with a good filter and change it every ~3k miles because these cars destroy oil.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

ya i figured these cars would be sick in the snow. after i totaled my mustang (on wet ground after it rained, i was only doing about 40) i said my next car will be awd. then this popped up.
i always use castrol full synthetic (the commercial with the irishman "think with your dipstick jimmy" lol) on my lincolns. one of the threads i was reading on here said the synthetic blend was better for these cars. didnt cause dry starts.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:09 PM
3rd Gear

Snow tires on these beasts and you'll pray for snow. I know I do. I'd jump all over this deal if I were you.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Yeah dude i live in new hampshire, familar with malden and theese things are perfect in the snow we get up here. if you know how to work on it, take the chance

Old 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
2nd Gear

1.8T or 2.8?