B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Meloman's timeline

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 PM
5th Gear

vacuum leak brutha. you is leaking ayuh

Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
vacuum leak brutha. you is leaking ayuh
Thats whats confusing me is I did a boost leak test and can't find anything. Guess I didn't look hard enough...

Welllllll my intake manifold is FINALLY done. If you're not OCD or completely **** this shouldn't take too long but mine probably took about 12-14 hours total....

I started out washing it off with some degreaser then used the following order grits 80, 120, 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 (this was the final order, I skipped 1000 and 1500 the first time and it didnt shine just right) then I was annoyed by all the little scratches the 2000 left for you to see so I did some searching and came across Tripoli which is essentially a metal buffing compound and it worked amazing. After the Tripoli i used mothers mag and aluminum polish and buffed it off with a dreml and polishing pads and heres the finally result

Before:

Name:  IMG_20110508_144334.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  73.2 KB

After:

Name:  DSC_0078.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  70.1 KB

Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Duno what to tell you about the DV, personally I'd swap in the softer spring and see what happens. Can't hurt anything at this point.

I need to get back to work on my manifold, I've been lagging.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Your intake manifold looks GREAT! Maybe one day I'll get to mine. Keep up the good work

Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

Good job on the IM. Take a pic after the install.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks guys!

So was installing it and expected something to go wrong because something always does but today was extra shitty. In the process my dipstick tube snapped and I cracked my entire coolant flange. This sucks because now the cars down till I can order parts and its my daily, but just to make it worse I remember hearing everywhere that the coolant flange is the biggest pain in the *** to do. I almost wish I could take it to a shop to do it, its even more of a tease. Because the manifold looks so good but nothing works..

Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Heres a writeup: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

How did you break the dipstick tube?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear

Hey thanks, I was looking for that.

But after I undid the bar that holds it to the manifold I didnt have enough room to disconect it from the tube itself so i was going to just be gentle and maneuver it out of the way when I could. I didn't even think about it when i was pulling the manifold off and it snapped right in half.
Just 2 stupid mistakes...

Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by meloman
Before:

After:

That's definitely a nice job. Even better since you picked it up on the cheap.....

BTW.....did that file I sent you work?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear

Its been awhile since I updated and my cars being changed up a ton within the next month..

First thanks Erik! just picked up my windows laptop and the programs working great, now if only my obd2 cable would come in.....

So it's been a long couple weeks, stopped at the local junkyard a couple weekennds ago because everything was half off and ended up making out pretty well. I got 2 almost perfect tailights to replace my old tinted ones for $12, picked up a VR6 maf and housing for only $7 and after seeing my intake manifold my brother decided to pick up a vdub one for his future car.
Engines only cost $100 that day and they had 2 complete VR6 engines that were So close from being in my garage...

Anyways when i had my whole coolant dilemma I hated my car just sitting there teasing me while I waited for parts so I decided to completely change up my engine bay. I need to fix a few more things and then it'll be almost where I want it. (If anyone has a heatshield to sell I'll take it!) I'll try and get a picture of where its currently at this week.

So basically i got my euro trunk and s4 bumper painted (still need a passenger side foglight grill so once again if anyone has one let me know!) and the euro trunk went on fine, I have to admit I was disappointed I could no longer use my triangle and something must have came loose because after opening/closing it about 10 times its now stuck closed and the carpets still on so its gonna be a pain to fix that.
But my real problem is that I realized that with my frame being bent I cant put on my new bumper till they can get it straightened out which wont be for at least another week...

Quick Reply: Meloman's timeline