B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

MBC/ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
1st Gear
Default MBC/ECU?

I have a 2000 a4 1.8tQ tip. I have been previously told in order to raise the boost level of my car I have to chip it, freeing up the boost control settings, rev. limiter, etc. I also have heard that all you need is a MBC.??? I right now have a turbo xs hpbc and am waiting for the podi and boost guage to come in soon. Can i just hook them up and raise the boost to lets say 14 psi... My mods are: fmic-2.5 inch piping, hks ssqv bov with recirculation fitting/relocation to just after the MAP on cold side, Greddy FATT, and cone filter intake.

When i spool the turbo up quick or mash the gas my car loses power and continues to until i let of of the accelerator completely. I figured i had boost leak. I've checked everywhere but i cant find any. Im guessing with the upscale piping its not getting enough psi so im trying to raise the boost... Hoping this will cure this?

So again can i run a mbc and boost guage without chipping my car????

Old 06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: MBC/ECU?

A boost gauge isn't a problem, it just tells you stuff.
An MBC on the other hand...you need to tamper with the amount of fuel in that case...the best way is through a chip.

The amount of fuel in an original setup is sufficient for a little increase in boost pressure, but I'm not sure HOW much.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

DO NOT RUN A MBC WITH OUT CHIPPING YOUR CAR!
Stock psi is like 9psi, a chip will put you in the 14-20psi range, from there you can start adjusting your boost maxing out at about 22psi safley. but if you try to run 14 on stock tuning your motor is gona throw itself into limp or blow.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM

the tiny ko3s suffers alot after a fmic. You will notice it takes a tiny bit longer to get a charge due to the new cooler size vs. the stock one. You can run more boost without a chipby doing cincytt's diode mod. It works pretty good. Do a forum search on a few things to do.