B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Maybe a bad idea but considering an AEM FIC 6

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

The AEM FIC actually has an internal MAP sensor. It was added to clamp the MAF or MAP on vehicles when the turbo pushes past the MAF or MAP sensors resolution. It is good up to 25 psi. So if for whatever reason say the stock MAF on my AEB is maxxed out with the new turbo at 15psi and I am running 22psi I can clamp the voltage on the MAF signal and use the MAP to substitute for it and still control fuel.

If you look up the specs for it is actually quite impressive. It has two 0-5v remappers (for things like the MAF I mentioned or even O2 sensor remap so you essentially lie to the ECU like its a narrowband but use it as a wideband), it will datalog, full control over the injectors, control 6 additonal injectors, and a lot of things. The FIC 8 also will control boost, control up to 8 injectors, and some other nicities. The FIC 6 will not datalog the IAT but the FIC 8 will.

If it works as advertised it should be perfect. The thing with piggy backs is that most are used on naturally aspirated vehicles that have no tuning for anything past atmospheric pressure. Since the 1.8t is already designed to turbo application there really shound not be any issues.

There is also a forum dedicated strictly too the FIC 6 and FIC 8 to help trouble shoot just like this forum. Here is some of its specs.

AEM F/IC Fuel / Ignition Controller - ECU Piggyback - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

I looked at the United Motorsports tunes and they may be an option as well. The only problem is that I have 525cc injectors and they do not seem to be covered.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
Ithink mega squirt is a fine application. Obviously its not as advanced as something pre built. but being an electronics engineer, i like soldering and playing wiht circut boards
I don't mind soldering but one time I was using a cheap solder iron and a screw driver. I was keeping my eyes on what I was doing and reached for the screw driver with my peripheral vision and grabbed the fully heated iron instead. I **** down both pants legs and filled both socks.

I know of several people that have tried MS and went back to stock ECU's with piggy backs. I know of a couple people that made small mistakes and ended up burning the socket out trying to fix it. I know ALOT of people that absolutely love it. I will say one thing though, DIYautotune has the BEST customer support and has even helped me on things I have bought used. I am not kncoking MS at all. However if I go that route I would most likely go AEM series 2 instead.