B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Max Boost = 4psi . p1338 code have anything to do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Default Max Boost = 4psi . p1338 code have anything to do with it?

After installing my vaccuum/boost gauge , i finally get to see wuts goin on with the boost. vacuum is idling at 18 ,normal and no matter wut gear or where im at, max psi i get is 4psi. Never gets above 4psi. Now the cel is only throwing me the p1338 code. and I replaced the camshaft pos sensor to try to get rid of the code and its still coming back. WTF can this be? 4 max psi + p1338 code. Limp mabe? or boost leak? would the 1338 code put me into limp mode? all help greatly appreciated =)

Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Default RE: Max Boost = 4psi . p1338 code have anything to do with it?

Yes that is limp mode. check your ecu fuse first. Mine went into limp mode cause that fuse blew, replaced it and hasn't done it again.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 PM

I looked in the booklet for the diagram of fuses and theres no ecu fuse. Mabe inside the ecu cover? And why would that engine code still be there if i replaced that part for the cam pos sensor? Man this car has always been on 4psi. i cant wait to fix it so i can beat buses and work vans off the line at redlights.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:13 PM

If you have addressed the specific issue code, then you need to get the codes cleared. Then you should be fine.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 PM

i cleared them and they always come back. I just dont understand. My car has always been in limp mode and i only found out till now since i got a boost gauge. and there cant be a boost leak cause its steady readings. 18 - 20 vacuum steady and steady maxing out at 4psi. Its not spiking or jumping. So it has to be in limp mode.

p1338 code = cam pos sensor. Replaced. still code. doesnt make sense. =((((((

help!

Old 03-22-2008, 01:43 AM

bump.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 PM

any1 have any other suggestions? i cant find the ecu fuse. i cleared the codes again and its still comin back. wuts the stock ko3 psi ? its gotta b more then 4 psi

Old 03-22-2008, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

i understand you, i have strange problems also. concerning the boost, my gaugeshows 0.5-0.6 bar that is 7.25-8.7 psi. i am not sure if my boost is ok, but i suppose it is what it should be. if you tell me your engine code, i'll try to find out the code problem in the bentley manual.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:42 PM

thank you gio. I have the AEB engine. 98 1.8TQM. p1338

Old 03-22-2008, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

below is the instruction clearing out the code problem. it seems that first of all you should check ecu relay. is the knock sensor the the relay are ok, then check wiring. if all of the above are ok, then it seems to be faulty ECU. if you changed the sensor, then hope it is the relay or wiring.
[*]Test requirements[/ul]

[/align][*]The mounting bolt of Knock Sensor (KS) 1 G61 / Knock Sensor (KS) 2 G66 tightened to 20 Nm. [/ul][/align]
[/align][*]The Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) J220 fuses OK. [/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Battery voltage at least 12.5 volts.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]All electrical consumers such as, lights and rear window defroster, switched off.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Vehicles with automatic transmission, shift selector lever into position "P" or "N" . [/ul][/align]
[/align][*]A/C switched off.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Ground (GND) connections between engine/transmission/chassis OK.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Ignition switched off.[/ul][/align]
[/align]
[*]Test procedure[/ul][/align]

[*]Remove the engine cover.[/ul][/align][/align][/align]
[/align][*]Disconnect the green Knock Sensor (KS) 1 G61 electrical harness connector - 1 - or the blue Knock Sensor (KS) 2 G66 electrical harness connector - 2 - . [/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Checking internal resistance[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Using a Multimeter , check the Knock Sensor terminals 1 to 2 for an internal short. [/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Specified value: ∞ (Infinity).[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]If the specified value was not obtained:[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Replace the faulty Knock Sensor . [/ul][/align]
[/align][*]If the specified value was obtained:[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Checking wiring[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]If the manufacturers test box is being used. Perform the following step.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Install the Adapter F/VAG1598 (68 Pin) VAG1598/22 . Refer to Fuel Injection Ignition, Repair Group 24. [/ul][/align]
[/align][*]If the manufacturers test box is not being used. Perform the following step.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Remove the Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) J220 . Refer to Motronic Engine Control Module, Replacing . [/ul][/align][/align][/align]
[/align][*]Using a Multimeter , Check the Knock Sensor electrical harness connector to the Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) J220 electrical harness connector for an open circuit. [/ul][/align]
[/align]

Knock Sensor (KS) 1 G61 electrical harness connector terminals
Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) electrical harness test box sockets

Ground (GND)[/align]
[/align]

Knock Sensor (KS) 2 G66 electrical harness connector terminals
Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) electrical harness test box sockets

Ground (GND)[/align]
[/align][*]Specified value: 1.5 Ω Max.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]If the specified value was not obtained:[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Check the wiring connection for an open circuit, short circuit to Battery (+) or Ground (GND).[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Check the wiring connection for damage, corrosion, lose or broken terminals.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]If necessary, repair the faulty wiring connection.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]If no malfunction is found in the wiring and the resistance was not OK:[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Replace the faulty Knock Sensor . [/ul][/align]
[/align][*]If no malfunction is found in the wiring and the resistance was OK:[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Replace the Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) J220 . Refer to Motronic Engine Control Module, Replacing . [/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Install the engine cover.[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]Final procedures[/ul][/align]
[/align][*]After the repair work, the following work steps must be performed in the following sequence:[/ul][/align]
[/align][ol][*]Check the DTC memory. Refer to .[*]If necessary, erase the DTC memory. Refer to .[*]If the DTC memory was erased, generate readiness code. Refer to . [/ol][/align]
[/align][*]End of diagnosis.[/ul][/align]

Quick Reply: Max Boost = 4psi . p1338 code have anything to do with it?