B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Major starting issues, please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 PM
1st Gear
Cool Major starting issues, please help!!!!!

Okay let me start off with the error code i have, its p0010. Campshaft position actuator circuit sensor/bank one.
i flooded my engine with oil and this code came up. now i know this is the camshaft positioner code and needs to be replaced, but would this have anything to do with my car strting???
i can go four days without running my car and it starts fine and drive it and when i turn the car off i am unable to restart it for at least 30 mintues to an hour.
as of late, the car now dies while i a mdriving and the opile pressure light comes on.then the car will not start for another 30 minutes after it diesa, after which it only drives again for about another 10 minutes until it dies again. it does not go into limp mode, it just dies.the oil pressure light is a result of the car dying, i think. has anyone experienced any of these issues before???
i have had my alternator tested nad it charges at 14.2 and the battery has been tested as well. the battery will eventually die during multiple starting attempts. so again i ask you, in the world of german engineering, what the **** is going on!?!?!?!?!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

bump*

Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

im not too familiar with the whole engine setup yet, but i would imagine that that sensor would give you pretty big problems. if your timing goes off due to that sensor, you could damage your engine. how did you flood your engine with oil? that probably ruined the sensor as oil probably covered it. also, did you un-flood it? replace that sensor for starters

Old 11-09-2010, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

Sounds to me like you start the engine, it kicks up some oil (or something), and the engine stalls, and then the down time allows whatever is being kicked up to settle down again, allowing the engine to start again. I don't know, could be anything, but maybe when you flooded your engine the piston rings took some damage from oil pressure? And now when you run the engine, the oil floods the cylinders and snuffs out the spark? just my 2cents, sorry. BTW what are you driving?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

2001 A-4 1.8T Quattro, I think you maybe right when I get home from work I am gonna pull the plugs and check for oil, I messed up on my oil change draining the tranny fluid out then refilling the oil without checking the fluid level, I eneded up damaging the torque converter in the tranny and now it looks as if i blew the piston seals, because my oil pressure light does kick on right before it die everytime hence the fact I smell burning oil after 10 min of driving, ugh **** my life how hard is it to change piston rings??? and DIY's??? I am very mechanicaly inclined just a lapse in judgement on the oil change... again FML!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Actual WIZARD

Just do a compression test and post results, Rings involve removing the entire motor and essicientally rebuilding from just a bare block

Old 11-11-2010, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

any diy's on a compression test?

Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

OK so I pulled all 4 coils and plugs to find NO OIL on the spark plugs what so ever??? I am gonna do a compression test later in the week to see where I am at. DO you think this means I did not blow the Piston Rings? Also when removing the harness on the coil packs I noticed on the 4th, plug (the one closest to the firewall) that there was a set of 2 wires burnt off from this little black relay looking thing that was mounted underneth one of the retaining clips for the engine cover, what is this??? is it a ground of some sort??? and another thing when pulling out all this stuff I also noticed that my pressure regulator on the turbo inlet hose was completly destroyed, crack and shattered to **** with ALOT of oil inside... is this normal to have all that oil?? would any of these two things explain why the car wont start or does not stay running??? Please Help!!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
1st Gear
Default yo dude start with the sensor

i had that sensor go out on my 1.8t, had **** trouble starting the car, but it was intermittent like. sometimes it would be fine other times i'd crank and crank (i do not advise this) until it started. what i found out was that everything in the engine was is good shape, and the timing itself was still ok, but the sensor bum jacked it all up.

start with the sensor, and go from there.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

I ordered the sensor from ECS just waitin on it to show up

Quick Reply: Major starting issues, please help!!!!!