B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Maf and dual temp sender

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Maf and dual temp sender

Hi I got audi 1.8t 1999 a4 85k, if anyone knows the location of Maf sensor and dual temperature sender on this model can you help. Thanks and pictures would be nice thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:46 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Maf and dual temp sender

maf is inbetween the intake and the TIP. i have no clue what a dual temp sender is[&:]

Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Maf and dual temp sender

So the problem I had is rough idle and starting engine. It would start but it would not stay alive I had to press gas to keep it alive. And it would die when going in reverse. I did not have check engine light on but I still went and pulled codes at Advance autoparts for free. It showed me " Maf or Vaf A circuit Low input P0102". So I had to replace Maf it cost me $200 part only.Ok so basically how I understand it if u are a newbie like me you dont know any names of parts on the car except some basic things. So when somebody on this forums tells you that maf is between some and some part he is telling you " I picked this info from wikipedia but in reality i do not know where the hell that is or how it looks". So after sneaking around in my car and Getting some Illustrations I found it - MAF- Mass airflow sensor or otherwise known as sensor for air mass meter. http://www.motodyne.com/images/hitac...bore%20Maf.jpg thats how it looks.Now here is some illustrations from ETKA that show where it is. http://aycu16.webshots.com/image/451...8184092_rs.jpg. It is basically on the passanger side of the engine.First take off the plastic that covers the area of the box # 23 on the illustration. You will recognize the plate from illustration that will tell you where Box that contains maf is - no need to remove this plate.See the big box in the illustration under it is air filter but inside is MAF. It is held together by Clips pop them out and take out intake pipe #17 on illustration which comes out easy no need to unscrew anything. Unscrew pipe clip that hold air guide to the box and unplug the wire goung into a MAF sensor after the box is free take it out. Inside you will see the sensor that looks like that shown above unscrew two screws and replace it put everything back and you are good to go no more stallinand you get much more power. Now what dealer told me is thatif you have bad "dual temp sender" it is tellingcomputer that the fuel is hot and it tries to start engine as if it is hot but in reality it is cold so it runs rich. Anyways it is in the back ot theengine pretty visible. It has blue plug in it and it costs $30. Easy to replace. Do it when engine is cold some coolant will come out make sure you do not loose or brake plastic clip as you need to use it again on the new sensor that youput in. The clip is black in U shape.here is etka illustration of thelocation:http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/455...8962945_rs.jpg These illustrations show 1.8t 1999 A4 for other cars it might differ.