B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Made "another" custom air intake.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Made "another" custom air intake.

I used a bunch of left over parts, and some spare sheet metal tonight. used a sheet metal brake, some tin snips, rivets and intake parts. was a good time. i enjoy making stuff. i know it probably didnt do anything, but meh. sounds cool, and i killed some time. stock air ram thing is still functional too, dumping that air directly onto the filter. after driving around, the actual air intake pipe was nice and cool, but the heat shield was pretty warm. hopefully gonna log the air intake temps today. but i dont have a base line to go off of. the way the filter sits, its directed right in the corner by the headlight, where i assume it gets the most fresh air possible.

those are just a few pics. heres a link to the whole album on facebook: its under my "shops" page. theres also pictures there of timing belt, control arms, and few other things.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=a47ae297dd
*flamesuit on*

Last edited by DillonT; 11-30-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

I personally think this is way better then a k&n kit. and the only reason that sticker is there, is that i used to have a k&n drop in.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Administrator

I like it man, mine is almost identical apart from the heat shield. Mine extends further to the front and rear of yours, and is shiny aluminum. Gonna have to replace it in the spring though, the oil feed line rubbed a hole in it.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

Looks good. I'm thinking about doing this soon too. Just a normal filter and pipe from a autoparts store?
Can you post some pics of yours CCA4? And maybe how you made everything work (plug-ins)

Last edited by AudiTurbo; 11-30-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

thanks! im happy with it. only change i might make is to try and get some sticky backed insulation stuff to put on the heat shield. and its kind of hard to tell in the picture, but its pretty snug. i was honestly surprised how much heat stayed out of the area with the filter. but that shield gets HOT.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiTurbo
Can you post some pics of your CCA4? And maybe how you made everything work (plug-ins)
haha, mines not good enough? what plug ins? the maf plugs in like normal, and the amplifier you just zip tie in there.

p.s. stay tuned for skid plate/belly pan in the future. thats next on my sheet metal to do list.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AudiTurbo
Looks good. I'm thinking about doing this soon too. Just a normal filter from a autoparts store?
Can you post some pics of yours CCA4? And maybe how you made everything work (plug-ins)
Yeah I can do that this weekend, it's supposed to be warm.

Originally Posted by DillonT
thanks! im happy with it. only change i might make is to try and get some sticky backed insulation stuff to put on the heat shield. and its kind of hard to tell in the picture, but its pretty snug. i was honestly surprised how much heat stayed out of the area with the filter. but that shield gets HOT.
Tried using that stuff on the first iteration of mine. The one in the car now is #2. It melted off in pretty short order, I don't think the adhesive was meant for sustained temps that high.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

oh good point. never thought of that. ill have to think about it some more. but for now, im happy. heading to my uncles now to swap some wheels around for him. gonna hopefully use his laptop and data log intake temps. anyone have any idea what stock looks like for temps?