B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Lowbeam DRL ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default Lowbeam DRL ???

Hello all. New to this forum and Audi, but not to the car scene. I just purchased a 99.5 A4 and it does not have any daytime running lights. I find it annoying to have to turn on the headlights everytime I get into the car. I found this DIY on AudiWorld, but have a couple of questions.

Do I need a new 209 and 373 relay in addition to the ones already present? The article also mentions that I would no longer be able to turn on the parking lights individually on each side. Does this mean that the turn signals will no longer be functional? Based on the schematic attached, this mod should not effect the signals, but just wanted to be sure. Has anyone else here done this?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

You're right, flipping that little stalk up 2 inches is a serious pain in the ***.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TaConklin
You're right, flipping that little stalk up 2 inches is a serious pain in the ***.
LOL.

No but seriously, if it gets dark you have to turn the lights on anyways so you have your taillights. Just do it that way, it's safer.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear

Thank you for being so helpful.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
The article also mentions that I would no longer be able to turn on the parking lights individually on each side. Does this mean that the turn signals will no longer be functional? Based on the schematic attached, this mod should not effect the signals, but just wanted to be sure. Has anyone else here done this?
On some German cars they had the ability to put on parking lights with the turn signal stalk, to one side or the other. In some European situations it was the law to have parking lights on and this feature allowed lights just on one side with the engine off and the car locked etc. What he says is that this feature wont work any more.
I doubt if it worked on a US market car anyway.

Steve

Old 08-17-2011, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by IanWPB
LOL.

No but seriously, if it gets dark you have to turn the lights on anyways so you have your taillights. Just do it that way, it's safer.
This mod turns on the lowbeams to full brightness with the ignition along with the tail lamps and the license plate lamps.

@ piper109 Thanks for the info on the parking lamps.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

You only mentioned low beams, sorry.

So it's not like normal DRL's then. My 02 jetta had low beam DRL's, but you had to turn the headlights on to get the taillights to turn on, so that's why I mentioned just turning the headlights on.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:25 AM
2nd Gear

The DIY article I included the link to describes how the mod activates all of these lights when the ignition is on.