B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Low oil pressure - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Smile Low oil pressure - FIXED

Over the past several months, I have been waiting patiently. The previous owner of my A4 had "run it out of oil" said his dad. I towed the car home and have been waiting patiently for the various parts to arrive.
Here were the symptoms:
1. Car would start and run well, but Low Oil Pressure light would illuminate at about 1800rpm.
2. You could hear the engine quiet down as oil pressure builds at idle.
3. I ran a half a can of SEAFOAM (in the crankcase) along with the oil.
4. We put the car up on the rack, pulled the bumper cover, lock carrier, driver's side motor mounts, lifted the motor and removed the pan.
5. As I suspected, the oil pick-up was clogged. but the rest of the engine looked fine. Pulled the main and rod bearing caps, the inserts were within specifications for clearence (but at the high end)
6. Replace the oil pump/pick-up, rod and main bearing inserts, seals gaskets, crankcase ventilation hose, plugs coils (sti units are prone to failure).
7. While I was in there, I also replaced the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, tensioners and pulleys, plus the accessory rib belts,
8. Poured oil and coolant in and cranked it over. It fired right up and ran well.
Drove it home and it ran well!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

The first thing i did when i got the A4 b5 was to have my mechnic put a product called nutcracker into the oil for a maximum of 800km driving then replace the oil and filter - the nutcracker, which contains a % of PowerUp helps to break down the built up carbon,sludge and varnish.

Nutcracker was introduced to the engine oil and via adding adding an amount directly into the vacuum line to directly feed into the upper cylinders for the effect of decarboning the upper cylinders and adding a protective film.

With the oil change, i added Powerup - in case you havnt heard of it heres a link found via google
http://www.maryngroup.com/product-li...x-nnl-690.html

my previous vehicle, a nissan bluebird - used to require oil changes every 5000km and certainly noticable engine noise complaints by 7000km- by then the oil thin like water. I also changed to Total brand lubricants due to finding out their oil film strength was higher than...other brands. - After doing a powerup treatment to the oil, my experience was that the engine ran smoother, and oil changes were not needed until about 13000-15000km.

With the Audi - knowing that any failure is expensive - my mechanic added Powerup of the recommended manufacturer % to the power steering fluid, engine oil and shortly will dose the auto fluid as well. From my experience i would recommend you protect your investment in your Audi by improving the boundary lubrication. This older 2.6 v6 i have noticed an improvement in engine responsiveness, and after just over 4000km on the current oil, its looking fairly clean and importantly can feel the lubrication quality of the oil is still there, an oil dispersion test shows the oil is far from needing replacement yet.

find a distributor at the below link or ask your mechanic to add powerup to your engine.
http://www.maryngroup.com/purchase/f...rs-canada.html