B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Low Oil Pressure - 2.8 30v

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Low Oil Pressure - 2.8 30v

Hi guys,

I'm in need of help. While driving to work this morning, the low oil pressure symbol came on (Red oil symbol). The car seems to drive fine, but I have noticed that last few times during start-up, the duration of noise from the engine during start-up has become longer. I'm sure 30v are familiar with the noise that goes away after a few seconds on start-up.

The oil isn't that old, but is getting darker so I'm going to change. I've always used 5-40 Catrol full-synth (same as dealer here in Canada), Napa Gold filters and changed frequently. I recently changed the valve cover gaskets and it was super clean in there. Heck, what haven't I replaced on the damn car, lol.

I understand the whole pick-up issue around the 1.8ts. I didn't think that the v6 had the same issues. I intend to check the pressure with an oil pressure gauge later, but I was hoping to get some input. I'm getting to my wits end with this car. Anyone have to replace an oil-pump with these cars?

Car has just over 100k miles, new timing belt/water pump the whole thing, cleaned replaced hoses on PCV, added in line catch can, you friggin name it.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by theflash; 04-04-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Order an oil cooler o-ring (the one that seals the gap between the cooler and the engine). When you remove the oil filter, watch the cooler as you twist against the filter and see if it moves. It's held on by a nut that is exposed when you remove the filter. The tension of that nut seals the cooler against that o-ring. Over time you can see:

1 - a loosening of that nut, allowing oil to leak out

2 - a decay of that o-ring, allowing leakage

I'd just play it safe and pull off the cooler to change the o-ring during the oil change. The o-ring is less than $6 and putting in a new one could potentially save the engine (ask me how I learned this).

Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. Excellent advice...however it seems the pressure switch became wet (by leaking coolant that I've stopped). So I *think that was the problem. No low pressure alarm today, but I still intend to check the pressure with a gauge, just didn't have time last night.

I replaced the oil cooler last year as well as the o-ring. But next oil change I'm going to check it out anyhow. That's why I joke that I've replaced most of the car, I practically have. I've noticed though that with the brutal weather here, sometimes that nut works itself loose, -40 and +40 C can do that to dissimilar metals I guess.

I still maintain that my Audi is trying to kill me and itself, lol. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

oil pressure has been a problem the past couple weeks at my shop, it started with a 4.2 a6 that ended up having part of the screen for the oil filter in the oil cooler, the next was a 2.8 a6 that had a smashed oil pan and the pick up tube actually imploded in on itself and caused it to have low oil pressure, it couldnt be seen but it was restricting the oil flow, and lastly my a4 1.8 that i wrecked the pan on and a pump and pick up tube fixed the problem, i cant really tell you the right direction to go but i would try a switch, dont bank on it working, its a cheap enough part that it really doesnt matter but the pan on a 30v is easy enough to drop and the pick up tube is cheap enough so that i would use that as my next step. If you decide to take my advice if the pressure switch doesnt work and decide to drop the pan, please get back on here and report your findings in the pick up tube, its pretty important to know how much babbitt the pick up tube has, reason being the bearings could be worn and that could cause your low oil pressure problem and that opens a whole new world of issues. oil pressure really isnt anything to mess with, if you can, dont drive it