B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

low boost psi please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 AM
1st Gear
Question low boost psi please help

Hey guys I just bought my 97 Audi a4 b5 1.8t aeb engine code about a month ago decided to put a boost gauge in about a week ago so I did and upon start up my vac is around -20 to around -22 then driving apon hard acceleration the most is 2 psi boost but the car seems to run great and doesnt really seem sluggish its not the.fastest car ever but there is no strange noises either I made my own boost leak tester and found a hole in the intercooler and I fixed it and I still have the same problem I also took the top.line off the n75 valve and that never helped I'm lost and really hoping its not the wastgate but I don't think it is being there isn't a noise any help I would greatly appreciate I think ill check my dv valve tomorrow but I have no idea what's wrong

Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Legal Moderator

guessing its the wastegate. youll have to grab the actuating rod. if you can move it with your hand than the diaprham is bad. the thing is wastegate pressure on a k03 is 4psi, which means taking all other systems besides the wastegate into consideration, youll make 4 psi. the fact you are only making 2 psi almost assuredly means you have either a bad wastegate actuator, or there is an issue with your flap.

edit- ok forgot about the diverter valve. if it was the dv, it would pretty much need to be completely shot. either way, youll need to check out both systems. if you need parts, let me know. i got plenty of extras laying around

Last edited by redline380; 04-07-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:12 AM
1st Gear

That's what I was afraid of so ill have to buy a new turbo thanks though for the info

Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 AM
1st Gear

I hope it is the dv if you happen to have a forge dv ill buy it I looked on eBay there's a k04 for 300 bucks not too bad o thought I'd have a lot more in a new turbo

Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by RobertBaker
That's what I was afraid of so ill have to buy a new turbo thanks though for the info
whoa, lets net get ahead of ourselves. your turbo could be perfectly fine, no reason to assume you need a new one. if its just the wastegate acuator that is bad, those are perfectly replaceable. like i said, i have extra parts. DO NOT, under any curcumstances, waste money on a junk ebay turbo. EVER. well, the only time i guess would be replacing all the moving parts with genuine ones, but thats a whole other story.

if you want a new turbo, you are best off buying genuine BorgWarner. second best option is getting yours rebuilt, or if you want a performance upgrade have yours modified. third best option is buying a used, genuine BorgWarner. those should be your only options.

as for the diverter valve, if you are just running stock programming, just run a stock diverter valve. a forge unit wont offer any extra performance, or any other aftermarket brand for that matter. if you want a cheap upgrade, get a tt225 dv. you could get a forge unit, and in the end it will be a bit more reliable in long run i guess, but im kinda pissed at forge since my blow off valve is sticking open sometimes. even after i greased it up.

so, stick with some sort of BorgWarner turbo, and just get a new diverter valve, unless you feel the extra cash for a forge is worth it

Old 04-07-2013, 03:50 AM
1st Gear

Ok I got ya lol sorry I'm new to this in the morning I will deff see if there is any play in the rod and check the dv I hope its nothing major and doesn't cost a lot the weird thing is the car runs good and just to clear things up that rod is the one you can see looking down by the air intake that's on the turbo right and if I can move it its bad

Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 AM
1st Gear

And thanks for all the info I would of prob wasted a lot of money buying eBay junk

Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by RobertBaker
And thanks for all the info I would of prob wasted a lot of money buying eBay junk
thats what im here for,

as for the rod, i couldnt tell you where its located in relation. its been a while since i seen a stock turbo under my hood but your description sounds accurate. its just a round coming from a round thing (the wastegate diaphram. there will be a vacuum/boost line) going to a swivel connector, which connects to the wastegate flapper. and yes, if it you can move it somewhat easily, it is bad. as for the diverter valve, youll need to pretty much take it out. i want you to (this may sound dirty) suck on the nipple with your finger up the hole and feel if the piston is moving easily. if it is moving with little sucking, that may be bad. and dont be alarmed if a milky residue comes from the diverter valve. thats normal (true, but i added that part for laughs)

Old 04-07-2013, 04:19 AM
1st Gear

Lol alright looks like ill be suckn when I wake up lol but alright thanks bro ill let ya know what I find but I'm going to bed its almost 430 in the morning here later buddy

Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

So the wastegate rod is tight I can't move it with my hand so now I'm taking the dv off

Quick Reply: low boost psi please help