B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

lots of serious problems and need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Default RE: lots of serious problems and need help!!

Willowtree -

I will be attending the University of Iowa in the fall when i transfer back up there so ill be able to help then. otherwise i might be up there in a couple weeks to check out the aparments. thats another story.

do some simple stuff first. do not freak out yet. get the battery tested at autzone as well as your altenator and starter. those shouldnt be too hard to remove. once you know the condition of those [it will be a royal PITA if they are all in good shape] Next, jack the front end up and see if you cant remove a wheel or not. remove the lug nuts and see if it will just pop off, otherwise you may need to carefully "whack" it or pry it off if its rusted on. be very careful that you do not ruin bearings, wheel studs, and/or the hub assembly. get the car some power before we work on the other issues. id be glad to lend a hand for an afternoon if were up in that part of town. ill keep you posted on that part.

oh yeah, maybe check out:

www.iowaautoforums.com
www.dragsource.net

register on teh boards. i am on both of those. the first URL is going to be more of the auto group around cedar rapids/iowa city and the dragsource one will be more of the des moines guys. im also new to the whole AUDI/VW thing but there is a group called Projekt German that does alot of euro stuff in the state. maybe a guy lives in IC. who knows. good luck. let us know how your testing of charging components goes.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Change your battery to a known good one, put a volt meter on it when you attempt the start to see for excessive voltage drop(starter problem). I doubt the engine is seized, a year is not long storage outside unless there was water in it to start with. My brake pads glue themselves to the rotors if the winter even over night and they can be surprisingly tight. Do not start toreplace parts because you might think that is the problem asyou will end up wasting time and money.Analyze everything with the proper instuments. It is cheaper and more effective. The vagcom is the bestplace to start.My $0.02 worth. B.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

the only thing that worries me is that you may need to take it to the shop because most of the car is programmed by the computer and it may have reset itsuelf the key fob for sure but try replaceing the battery because they tend to go bad in the cold weather.also that nice gerous dude that will take the lap top with the vag is the greatest idea . wish i had a audi friend here in portland that would do that lol

Old 03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
2nd Gear

New gas-New Fluids-Take off the wheel check everything on the underside, then let us know what you see.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

sweet thanks tyler. you will like the University of Iowa besides the fact that they dont plow... I would love to have someone come out and look at the car with me. At least have someone on campus that i know to help with other problems that might come along.

Beem - I was also thinking along your line that the breaks just froze themselves to the rotors and that the battery was just shot. Of course other stuff, but i doubt that the motor just siezed up? but i could be completly wrong on this one!

We just hit another cold front and more snow so i wont be able to look at it anytime soon. hopefully in the next week or two i can play around some more.

thanks for all your help guys and ill for sure keep you all posted and add some pics if i can ever figure out how to do that?!

01AudiA4, i love your car! looks sick man

Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE:

so i finally got some warmer weather and went to work on the car again and got it moved from the parking lot. Got all the wheels unstuck.I have a feeling that the snow and ice had them frozen. the only problem was the passanger side rear is really stiff so im thinking im going to replace the caliper. I have intentions of replacing all the rotors and pads, obviously.

future plans once school gets out.

H and R spring with bilstein shocks.
OEM S4 rims
S4 bumper
painted side skirts
custom exhaust
boost controller
boost guage
225 wide tires
and other stuff...

ill keep you all updated as more stuff happends.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE:

So just to keep everyone up to date. I got the car home and took off the front bumper headlights and the whole deal. bought new plugs, battery, cabin filter, airfilter, fuel filter, oil filter, and replaced everything but the fuel filter. I didnt realize how hard it would be to replace. Im going to do that tomorrow.

I clean up everything, took me 5 hours to clean the interior and about 3 hours to clean the leaves and unplug the drains and what not.

I GOT THE CAR RUNNING!! but only for about 10 seconds with a horrible idle and then it just dies. Im not sure what the deal is. im thinking either an EGR valve or a big vacuum leak somewhere.

The powersteering cooler line has been torn apart so i have to replace that (should have been shipped today) and realized that i need a new front bumper and some work done with the right fender.

does anyone have any ideas on how to shave the door rubber bumpers?!

and if anyone has any ideas about the stalling and not staying running shoot me some ideas!

here are some pics...

you can see some body damage to the fender

Old 05-18-2008, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

Did you drain the old gas and put in good gas?

Old 05-18-2008, 01:35 AM
3rd Gear

Besides the obvious, check the cam position sensor.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

i did drain some of the gas. There was only like an 8th left and it started right up with the gas in it. I am going to drain the whole thing today and add more in.

Then work on the Cam Position sensor since that's what a few people have said. and then also the timing belt and tensioner.

Quick Reply: lots of serious problems and need help!!