B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

lots of serious problems and need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
1st Gear
Default lots of serious problems and need help!!

hey guys so im new to Audi's and even to this forum...

So i bought a 2000 A4 1.8TQ auto and well it doenst run. The car has been sitting for over a year and a half now and in iowa we just got like over 5+ feet of snow this winter. The story behind the car is that one day he was driving it and when the RPMs got below 1,000 the car would die out on him. Then his buddy took out the car and ran over a curb and ripped out the power steering tubing under the front bumper. So the kid forgot about it and just let it sit.

I went to tow it out last night and ran into a few problems. I tried to jump it and let it charge for about 20min and went to turn it over and just heard a single "Click" or "Clunk". so i dont know if my battery AND Starter are an issue?

SO after figuring out i cant jump it, we got the car trailer in front of it and went to pull it on to the trailer and well, the wheels wouldnt turn!! WE DID HAVE IT IN NEUTRAL, and then we jacked up the tires and none of them would freely turn, i know there should be some play in them but they wouldnt turn period. not even a centameter. so we couldnt even take the car away and it just sits.

my questions are...

is this an electronic transmission where i could have it in neutral but it wont engage the trans because no power is getting to it? which would cause my tires to still be in park mode.

and what could be wrong with it not turning over? starter, batter? both?

i know i have alot of work a head of me.
i plan on changing all the fluids, filters, fuel stuff, plugs wires, batter, tires, MAF, TB, Air intake...and the list goes on.

ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME!!

thanks

Ps im not sure how to get pics to show up here, so these are the direct links.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...g-/audi002.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...g-/audi006.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...g-/audi005.jpg

Old 03-02-2008, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: lots of serious problems and need help!!

how much did you pay for this car?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
CIA
1st Gear

i dont want to upset you, but if the car has not been started in over a year, then your pretty much fucked. There is a chance that theengine is all sized up. You will need to clean everything inside the engine if thats the case. Change all fluids. Check the starter, you may need to replace it. Also the battery could be the problem. The break disks....oh my GOD...you have serious work to do.

I hope you didnt pay too much for the car.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:09 PM

where abouts in iowa are you located? i just bought my 2001 A4 1.8tQ. i could possibly come look at it with a friend. he has a Vag-com hookup for his laptop. let me know. we are located south of des moines in norwalk. maybe we can help you out.

can you turn the key to accessory power and get your lights/stereo to turn on?

could be a combination of many things for the problem starting: Starter could be out, altenator [after you get it started], and/or a battery issue. chances are that batteries get pretty much ruined from sitting along time. borrow a friends battery and see what you can do. other wise head to the parts store and start seeing how much the stuff is going to cost.

-Tyler

Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 PM
4th Gear

+1 for needing a new battery. Try that and see what happens...

Also I wonder if it could be a timing belt that broke causing the car to die out? Wait... never mind if it was running ok up above 1k RPM's.

GL and I too hope you didn't pay to much.

Josh

Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
5th Gear

i have a feeling the battery is bad like others said. check the fluid levels. autozone tests starters, alternators and batteries. battery can be tested on the car but starters and alternators are best tested off the car. did non of the wheels turn or just the rear? take the wheel off of one that doesn't move and check the brakes. i hope you only paided less than a grand for this car or else you got screwed lol. if you don't fee like fixing it, you can always part it out and make some money. and only replace the things that will get the car to run correctly for now. o ya, it could also be the crank sensor or ICM so add that to your list lol.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

oh wow, it seems like im in for a long haul here!!

tyler, im actually a student at the University of Iowa in Iowa City. Not too sure how long it would take for you guys to come out or if you even have time?
I just looked at the link on "do it yourself" stuff that is posted on this forum. and figured out how to replace the battery. and im thinking i will try and replace the starter in the lot and see if anything changes.

I have full intentions of fixing this what now seems to be a HUUUGE project. but prolly will be alot of money involved. Let just say for everyone asking how much i paid for it, is that i factored in the price of dropping in a new engine and the body work, Now i feel like i overpaid from what everyone is writing so i feel dumb.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

oh and dont worry about upsetting me. haha i know i got myself into a project. Just im new to audi and can take any ANY advice that is trown my way.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Site Moderator

So the engine hasn't been run in over a year? Well gas for one only has a shelf life of about 6 months so even if you got the engine to crank over the gas wouldn't ignite. The wheels are probably rusted to the hub, and the axles are rusted as well which is probably why the wheels won't turn. Battery is dead, then check the fault codes when all of that is fixed.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

can anyone point me in the direction of audi information like all the technical aspect of it.

I want to know how my tiptronic is and what type of trans i have and if it is an electronic where it wont shift of out gear if there is no power to it. (if thats even choice)??

Quick Reply: lots of serious problems and need help!!