B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Loss of Power

I was driving home last night late and i was goign to accelerate up a hill and it had no power. I know that i need a new tensioner pully, egr valve cleaned or replaced and the exhuast needs some work, but would that all relate to it. The accelerator is very stiff and you really have ot push to get it down. When going up to speed it shifts from 3rd to 4th to 5th then down to 4th around 40-45. Im not increasing my pedal at all it just shifts down again. Also i was crusing last night and put it in nuetral and it was reving at 1700 with out any pressure onto the pedels. Any help? Im trying to figure out all the costs i need to run my car right to know if i need to try to get rid of it or not. thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear

can you quantify "no power" in any other way, the way you feel may not be how other people do. are your zero-60 times any longer? have you checked? theres a street in my town i use for this purpose, its a half mile strait shot so i can get some speed and i know i can hit 60mph before the 5th telephone pole after the stop sign when im running 100%. so if i pass that pole before i hit 60mph i know im not getting full power for some reason. and i can tell by how much by how far i pass the pole. its easier then trying to accurately time a 0-60 run by yourself.

sometimes if your engine is under load and you all of a sudden go into neutral the idle controler gives slightly too much gas to keep it from stalling, even if it wasnt going to stall, so your idle goes up a few hundred. just tap the gas pedal once and it should go back down.

im not sure about the stiff gas pedal thing, try going under the hood and moving the throttle by hand, it should have some spring pressure on it but it should move fairly easily and very smoothly. and when you let go it should snap closed. could be binding somewhere in your throttle cable, that car is a drive by cable, not drive by wire. so if the pedal is stiffer its because something is physicly catching.

if all else fails, scan for codes.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

The lose of power just seems to come and go when im accelerating. i dont hammer down or anything because of teh problems wrong with it, and theres an oil leak on the exhaust manifold so it smokes under heavy running. But the stiff pedal seems to come and go also, if i push it to the floor, the rest of the drive is nice and the pedal is loose, but other that, it usually remains pretty stiff. Im going to scan soon anywayss when i take it to a shop for the exhaust.