B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Looking for a little help Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking for a little help Oil Leaks

Ok so I picked up a 98 Audi A4 2.8L, got it home and realized it was leaking oil, funny the guy I bought it from had just had it smoged and swore he didn't know of any problems with the car???

So I got to reading on this forum and found that the Engine Breather and crankshaft breather hoses were the likely culprits so I changed them out. Sure enough the engine breather hose was broken the others appeared OK.

But I still have a couple of leaks, one looks like it's coming from either the oil filter or above it and the others look like they are coming from the back part of the engine near the passenger compartment firewall.

Any clues on where the leaks may be coming from? Couple of questions and thoughts.

1. due an oil change and see if that stops the leak that looks like it may be coming from the filter.
2. replace the valve cover gaskets
3. replace valve cover gasket and cam shaft oil seal gasket

Has anyone done a valve gasket replace on the 2.8, can the cam shaft oil seal be replaced without pulling the motor?

I'm a novice wrench turner but I get it done.

Any and all help is appreciated, tips and tricks are great as well. Thanks all in advance for your help.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 AM
1st Gear
Talking Leaky vlave cover gaskets

Originally Posted by rkelsey10554
Ok so I picked up a 98 Audi A4 2.8L, got it home and realized it was leaking oil, funny the guy I bought it from had just had it smoged and swore he didn't know of any problems with the car???

So I got to reading on this forum and found that the Engine Breather and crankshaft breather hoses were the likely culprits so I changed them out. Sure enough the engine breather hose was broken the others appeared OK.

But I still have a couple of leaks, one looks like it's coming from either the oil filter or above it and the others look like they are coming from the back part of the engine near the passenger compartment firewall.

Any clues on where the leaks may be coming from? Couple of questions and thoughts.

1. due an oil change and see if that stops the leak that looks like it may be coming from the filter.
2. replace the valve cover gaskets
3. replace valve cover gasket and cam shaft oil seal gasket

Has anyone done a valve gasket replace on the 2.8, can the cam shaft oil seal be replaced without pulling the motor?

I'm a novice wrench turner but I get it done.

Any and all help is appreciated, tips and tricks are great as well. Thanks all in advance for your help.
The oil change will not solve the oil leak. No need to pull the motor. It is coming from the valve cover gasket on the passenger side. Pull the valve cover and replace the half moon and tensioner seals as well as the valve cover gasket. Use black RTV on both sides of the lower corners of the VCG and let it cure. You may have to lift the cams to get the half moon and tensioner seals in place. Have fun. Search here or google for write ups on how to do it. Not hard but you need to know the steps.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Many thanks for the response. I was thinking I would have to replace both valve cover gaskets at the same time but one side (right) will be good enough?

Great tips on the half moon and tensioner seals as well. Again thanks for the help.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
The oil change will not solve the oil leak. No need to pull the motor. It is coming from the valve cover gasket on the passenger side. Pull the valve cover and replace the half moon and tensioner seals as well as the valve cover gasket. Use black RTV on both sides of the lower corners of the VCG and let it cure. You may have to lift the cams to get the half moon and tensioner seals in place. Have fun. Search here or google for write ups on how to do it. Not hard but you need to know the steps.

He doesn't need to lift the cams to get to the cam chain tensioner gasket, behind the half moon seal.

He needs to use the cam chain tensioner tool on the cam chain tensioner, then left it up and change the gasket.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
He doesn't need to lift the cams to get to the cam chain tensioner gasket, behind the half moon seal.

He needs to use the cam chain tensioner tool on the cam chain tensioner, then left it up and change the gasket.
10-4 Absolutely use a cam chain tensioner tool available all over the internet for about $15. I found it easier to lift the cams a tad bit but it is not necessary. Again there are lots of tutorials on the web. Depends on what else he is planning to do while in there. I did mine in conjunction with a head replacement so I had it all apart anyway.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Only doing the gaskets. unless... I found some youtube videos that answered a lot of questions but Blauparts shows a video that involves removing the front bumper, pulling the front end out, removing belts, (the chiltons book doesn't say anything about all that,) then getting the valve covers off, then removing the cam shafts chain and all, is this necessary or just use the tensioner tool to create slack in the chain move it up a little and slide out/in the plug seal?
Again I'm a bit of a novice and seeking guidance and clarification. Most of the info on this process is for the 1.8 not the 2.8.

Thanks to all for your time and help it is needed and appreciated.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 AM
1st Gear

Only doing the gaskets. unless... I found some youtube videos that answered a lot of questions but Blauparts shows a video that involves removing the front bumper, pulling the front end out, removing belts, (the chiltons book doesn't say anything about all that,) then getting the valve covers off, then removing the cam shafts chain and all, is this necessary or just use the tensioner tool to create slack in the chain move it up a little and slide out/in the plug seal?
Again I'm a bit of a novice and seeking guidance and clarification. Most of the info on this process is for the 1.8 not the 2.8.

Thanks to all for your time and help it is needed and appreciated.
No need to do all that. Most of that stuff is for the timing belt. All you need to do is pop off the valve cover and get the tensioner tool in place then ease the seals out and replace them. Make sure you clean the mating surfaces well and use new gaskets. Don't over tighten the valve cover.

I have done this several times and I strongly recommend that you use black RTV on the lower corners or the valve cover gasket, both sides, and let it cure for 23 hours before starting the engine. Lots of opinions on this but my experience has been that failure to use it or failure to let it cure per the manufacturers instructions will result in having to do the work over.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Great information all. I was wondering about the RTV on both sides of the gasket. Now I know, thanks also for the info on having to tear it down so far that will save a bunch of time and potential headaches. I've noticed that most instructions use the right/passenger side valve cover, but from where mine is leaking I'm thinking it's the drivers/left side any comments on that? I'm thinking I'll do the left side first if that doesn't work I'll do the right.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

Great information all. I was wondering about the RTV on both sides of the gasket. Now I know, thanks also for the info on having to tear it down so far that will save a bunch of time and potential headaches. I've noticed that most instructions use the right/passenger side valve cover, but from where mine is leaking I'm thinking it's the drivers/left side any comments on that? I'm thinking I'll do the left side first if that doesn't work I'll do the right.
Do the driver's side first. It's the easier of the two. The heads are identical but reversed on the block so the seals etc. on the driver's side will be in the front. The passenger side is a bit harder since you have to reach to the back of the head to do the work and it's a bit harder to see what you are doing. The diver's side will be good practice. Have fun. Ask before you make an assumption. No need to do it over.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, I agree in this case it is better to open my mouth and be believed to be a fool then to keep it shut and remove all doubt

I should have the parts Wed. so start work soon. I'll try and take photo's along the way but admittedly I'm not very good in that area.

Quick Reply: Looking for a little help Oil Leaks