B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Looking to be a future A4 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Looking to be a future A4 Owner

Hey guys, new member here!
I'm 19 years old, in university and well simply cash is pretty low (at least right now) although I'm about to get a decent job and earn some money.

A lease on the car I've been driving up to now (which hasn't been mine) is about to end and so I'm looking into getting a new car. I was hoping by the time the lease was over I would have about enough to rather get into the s4 world, but simply won't be able to afford it, or for that matter the insurance and all the wonderful maintenance that comes along with it.

So instead decided I would take it slow and look into getting a b5 a4. I'm sure you're all tired of hearing people like myself make posts like this, but just like everyone else I'm here for some advice.
I've done a bit of research using these forums and others and it seems that I'll be taking my direction probably to a 2.8 a4 (reliability issue).
That being said, this car is pretty much 12-13 years old and so I'm definitely a little worried about it in terms of maintenance and money.

Right now this post is what is looking a little promising:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A4/H...howcpo=ShowCPO
2200$ for a 2000 2.8 manual.

Like I said, I'm just looking for a bit of advice. Is this a journey really worth taking? A friend of mine has a 2.8 (I'm not sure of the year) and he bought it about 2 years ago for 4grand. Needless to say his car has left an impression on me for both sides: he has a lot of rust, the usual tailight issues, engine check lights, expensive gas, but on the other hand his car is really fun to drive, nice interior, and at the end of the day a beautiful b5 a4.

Does the post up there seem like a reasonable buy? (I know there isn't much info posted on it I am contacting the poster for more).
What type of things can I expect buying this car, ie. is it reasonably reliable or is it going to be in a shop all the time? (I know this can go both ways but I'm just looking for some positive reassurance)
What type of info should I look for to see if it is a good buy or not?
Any other tips and tricks to help me out ?

Thanks a lot guys, hoping this works out and I really need a car by the end of August so have to get something.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

Comparing it to the 1.8 its pretty reliable, so you shouldn't have too many issues with it. Overall it is a strong and reliable car, but of course that also depends on the previous owner and how they took car of it so its hard to say honestly, its either gonna be a hit or miss in terms of if its going to be in the shop the day after you buy it or it'll cause you no problems. Its best to take it to a shop and have them put it in the air and inspect it before you buy it (check for leaks, cracks, bad control arms, axles, bushings, ect.) Overall its a solid and reliable car.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply man, I'm definitely looking into it.
If anybody else has some pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated!