B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Looking for a double din dvd setup,need advice and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear
Default Looking for a double din dvd setup,need advice and suggestions

I have a 2001 Audi A4 B5 silver with black leather interior,looking to upgrade the radio from factory to custom,you fellas have any site or location in the connecticut area? looking for a decen deal for what i want.

I don't need the gps navigation feature,as i have a tomtom 740 live,and that has bluetooth,which finds my iphone for hands free(it finds it sometimes,not all the time,i have to delete it and resync it sometimes.)

I would like new speakers,along with the new dvd/mp3 player setup,the bose speakers sound blown out or its just they sound like it when i hook up my iphone as a mp3 player,via cassete tape adapter,the iphone volume becomes a equalizer,so i had to adjust the volume with the car sterio's volume. so it won't sound muffled.

thanks for the tips in advance new friends ^_^

Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

A good radio i myself am thinking of getting is the Pioneer AVH-3200DVD, it has a 5.8" screen, from load SD card, which can handle up to 32GB(forget what the websites say, it does) has 3 sets of preamp outputs @ 2.2v and has a 8-band equalizer low-pass and high pass crossovers. Pretty good system.

Another one I'm deciding about is the Sony XAV-60. this one has a 6.1 wvga screen, 24 bit DAC, rear usb built in ipod controls, low and high pass filters, 3 pairs of pre-amp out puts.

There are many others, but to me , Sony, above all, even though its not very popular like eclipse or alpine or what have you, it really produces a clean sound no matter what kind of CD you put in there. Pioneer has always been known to produce good head units at a reasonable price. You can also go with an Alpine HU, as they have a good DAC as well, and produce clean output preamp signal

I'm in the NYC area, the Bronx specifically, and install systems regularly. Its a bit of a hobby of mine....lolol

BTW, a good resource site is www.crutchfield.com , they are just a bit too expensive for me. www.sonicelectronix.com is a nice place to buy and a way better price and they actually have very detailed pictures of their products.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 AM
2nd Gear

sweet man,thanks for the heads up on the prices,i know of crutchfield but not of sonicelectonix.com but i never ordered from either,but i will get sonic's site a look see.

I am trying to save a buck or two,so price is a factor,i walked in a local place around the corner from where i live and they wanted 400.00 for a Pioneer DVD player double din,thats not counting the wiring and labor either,it came in over 1000.00 easy

I was like"yikes!" i had no idea they could be so expenisve to install,so ima shop around a lot more,before i decide on a purchase.

There is a fle market in newhaven CT. that i could go to on the weekend,i have a friend that lives in the bronx,he's coming down for the weekend,ima ask him to come down with me to look at some double din dvd player units.

I asked a friends brother who did auto body work on my audi,what brands to get on car systems,he said to stay clear of sony brands,he claims he bought one and it broke the next day,it simply could have been a fluke and it was just that unit but i really didn't take it to heart,just thought i'd mention it to you.

I know that you cna buy anything and everything in the city,you can get any deals in NYC in those fle markets for a good price? I am surprised that you even are having a hard time looking for one,living in new york in all,they have everything for cheap there lol

hey,post some pics of your audi A4 B5,i want to see it,i tried to post mine but i keep getting a upload failed,i think they may be too big as i have a 10.1 mega pixel olympus stylus 1010,so i think the jpeg images do not comform to the specs that the site has,so i have to shoot the pics at a lower res.

Hit me back up,i monitor my threads on the regular ^_^

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a double din dvd setup,need advice and suggestions-p4150207.jpg   Looking for a double din dvd setup,need advice and suggestions-p4150208.jpg   Looking for a double din dvd setup,need advice and suggestions-p4150209.jpg   Looking for a double din dvd setup,need advice and suggestions-p4150210.jpg  

Last edited by morpheous; 04-16-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

i have a jensen with all the bells and whistles that we'll sell to you. 7 inch touch, integrated ipod interface allll sorts of aux ins and out. plenty of room to expand if you wanted to. im sure we could ship it no problem. ill give you the craigslist link. it was in my moms car for about two weeks until some idiot decided to tbone her leaving her car totalled. new car, radio doesnt fit. it works perfectly i made sure of it.

http://poconos.craigslist.org/ele/1694672720.html

Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear

Name:  CIMG0006.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  114.5 KB

Mine is a JVC. What I like is that the faceplate is detachable. Good sound options, dvd player is great, easy install, AV hookup, Ipod hookup, USB hookup. ONly cost in the 500 range...Had it for over a year with not one problem.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Administrator

You should get the Pioneer Avic since it has the options to change the display color and the red is close to the Audi red glow.

If you're interested in a DIY, Audi_Skydiver (Josh) from this forum had done a DIY installing that particular system on a B5.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear

I put down 500.00 on a whole setup with 4 speaks and 2 tweetere,sub woofer,amp

AVH-P3200DVD I hope this is the one that can switch colors,i want it to turn red,like my dash ^_^ the whole thing is gonna run me 1050.00 installed,anyone know it this dvd player can light red?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by joenelson7687

Mine is a JVC. What I like is that the faceplate is detachable. Good sound options, dvd player is great, easy install, AV hookup, Ipod hookup, USB hookup. ONly cost in the 500 range...Had it for over a year with not one problem.
Why only 1 pic? i want to see a few pics of the car itself,the exterior too ^_^

That dvd player is wicked!! I hope mine looks like a BEAST!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:32 AM
2nd Gear

Name:  myaudicropped.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  135.9 KB
Name:  CIMG0013.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  172.0 KBName:  CIMG0014.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  280.8 KB
Name:  CIMG0004.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  118.6 KB

Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Audacity
i have a jensen with all the bells and whistles that we'll sell to you. 7 inch touch, integrated ipod interface allll sorts of aux ins and out. plenty of room to expand if you wanted to. im sure we could ship it no problem. ill give you the craigslist link. it was in my moms car for about two weeks until some idiot decided to tbone her leaving her car totalled. new car, radio doesnt fit. it works perfectly i made sure of it.

http://poconos.craigslist.org/ele/1694672720.html
Thanks for the offer,i'd probably would have bought it that,if i hadn't gotten a great deal from a local electronics store i've known for 20 years,i grew up with them.

It's gonna cost me 1050.00 for InstallationAVH P3200DVD 4 speakers and a subwoofer,amp and 2 tweeters,i think ima go with the AVHP4200DVD instead as it has a bigger screen,7" so everyone in the back can see it too,i heard that these dvd players disable themselves,when you put the car in drive,i want to disable that feature as i want my passengers to be able to be entertained,while i drive long distances ^_^

Quick Reply: Looking for a double din dvd setup,need advice and suggestions