B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Looking to buy B5 a4 is it a good car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

Your right SaMataras I went to the bimmer forums and they have thier fair share of common problems. I have 3 cars right now I'm looking at the first is a 2000 a4 1.8t
5speed(+1) but its not awd has 110k guy said the Tbelt was replaced and the turbo was redone. The second is a 99 a4 1.8t with awd(+1) but has the tiptronic trans has 128k but had the Tbelt thermostat waterpump tierods and ball joints. The third is a e36 328i 5speed with 100k with new tires and brakes. I have never driven an audi or a bmw so I would ask the owners some more questions and take them for a test drive. Thanks for all the input.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

My 2c. Make SURE he has the paperwork showing TB was done if not assume it wasn't even if he said it was. If it's a 99 go for the 00. If it's a 99.5 and you don't mind the auto go with the 99.5 Also where you live you want the quattro. It is the holy grail. Don't believe look at my sig, that mother f'r works for NASA and even knows!

Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 AM
1st Gear

I wouldnt get any of those. A fwd audi v the quattro isn't even a comparison. If you ask me, I would never buy a non quattro audi, but to each his own right?

From what I have read here the auto tiptronic runs into issues down the line. I would look for a 2000-2001 b5 with a stickshift and quattro. I personally think this is the best way to go.

Now ask yourself this, and be honest. Do you plan on modding your car for speed? If not I would strongly recommend the 2.8 v6. No mods for speed really unless you supercharge that ****. I see kits on fortitude used for 2gs, new ones are like 4gs+. I've driven both and although the 1.8t is Def more fun to drive turboing around. I feel like the 2.8 is a much better and reliable choice when buying a car with 100k on the clock. Make sure timing belt and the waterpump have been done. If the don't have records of the the job, then it wasn't done. It's better to spend the 600 bucks to get it done than have a "valve salad" when it slips off because the tensioner fails.

Full disclosure:
I paid 4800 for a 01 1.8tqm with 94k on the clock. Thing had a good stack of maintenance records too including tb. I probably paid on the high side but I'm the second owner (bought it from some rich old guy) and I'm pretty sure it was garage kept. Thing is in great condition.

Use that to gauge your purchase.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:37 AM
5th Gear

Both the B5 and E36 are good cars, but both are getting to the point where a little TLC is unavoidable. I've only driven a late-model E36 once--test drove a '97 328i when I had my B5--so my E36 advice may not be exactly what you're looking for...

But I have had a '94 318i 5MT as a daily/shared commuter car with my Dad for over 15k miles. When we first bought the car back in October of last year it needed some help--we paid $1800 for the car and brought it back into great running order with the help of an additional $2k or so. The fuel system, suspension, brakes, and shot wheel bearing were the biggest of the problems. Most of that can be considered routine maintenance. Since all of that was done? Not a single problem. 190k miles and the car keeps asking for more. Find an E36 with lots of service records and I'm pretty confident you'd be happy with the car. Mine was only two owner and had records from the first up through 165k miles. Only major thing the second owner had to do over the next 10k was the clutch. I couldn't be happier with the car because it serves its purpose brilliantly: It goes from A to B without skipping a beat. Not a ton of creature comforts, but that's what my E46 is for...

The B5 will be loaded with luxury that can all go wrong at some point. Higher-end E36s will be the same. Just be prepared for things to go wrong, because they will. Aside from being a Tiptronic, my B5 was pretty great--a good looking, comfortable, solid car. It was the small things going wrong that really got me... $200 here, $400 there, for a car that barely had 75k miles on it. If you buy an Audi, quattro is a must. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Overall message: B5 is a better place to be but repairs are more frequent. E36 is more fun and reliable but doesn't have that same amazing interior feel. Test drive the **** out of both before you make any decisions.

Last edited by kolbs_91; 11-12-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah I would chip it and get an exhaust system for it. I'll have to keep looking for some other cars. The 328i needed some coil packs and some rear suspension work and quattros sound like a better idea(can see up to a foot of snow in one day) and if the tiptronic has problems I don't want that.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

If you don't want a car that is going to need a lot of maintenance and have numerous problems that are minor but still annoying as **** then definitely do not get a b5 audi.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by crazyquik22023
If you don't want a car that is going to need a lot of maintenance and have numerous problems that are minor but still annoying as **** then definitely do not get a b5 audi.
I don't mind doing maintence on a car I'm not lazy I'd change all oils at their intervals and hell I'd even grease the parts that need greasing witch I know a lot of people are guilty of not greasing.I don't mind getting dirty I would replace the stuff that goes out. I want a car thats sylish quick and overall a car thats not going to leave me stranded on the side of the road. I was also wondering do you have to replace the Tbelt ever 100k cause thats what the guys with s4s say with their cars. Also do they make a belt thats superior to oem ones?

Old 11-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Administrator

100K is high for timing belt. I'd replace it every 80K or even less. Note that it's not easy to replace TB on these cars. If you took it to a dealer, they would charge over 1000+ (parts are about 300 and the rest is for labor). Independent shops usually charge 500-800, depending on where you go. There are also DIY write ups available online if you wanna tackle it your self.

RAI Motorsport carries the kevlar timing belt.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RicB5
I know a lot of people are guilty of not greasing.I don't mind getting dirty
Randy appreciates this. A lot.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:00 AM
1st Gear

In these snow states you need to do all you can to take car of a vehicle cause winter is hell on the exterior. I just wish I was the original owner of my car. I maintain it very good but the damage has already been done from the previous owner being lazy.The kevlar belt sounds pretty nice I noticed the RAI site says oem ones need to be replaced about every 60k or so and theirs is claimed to last to 100k seems like it would be worth it.

Last edited by RicB5; 11-15-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy B5 a4 is it a good car?