B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Looking to buy Audi A4 1996-2002 for first time and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking to buy Audi A4 1996-2002 for first time and need advice

Hey everyone!

I've always been a honda owner but i am looking to make the switch now. I have some questions that maybe everyone can help me resolve. The mileage on audi's i've been looking at have started 115,000 to 150,000. Some of the posts ive read on cl for these cars include what has been repaired such as timing belts etc; some even say that they have no repairs, which draws some concern. My main question is what does maintenance look like on '96 and/or '00-'02. Obviously, i know I should ask for carfaxes and what not, but say once i buy the car how often should i maintence it so it'll guarantee me a car that will last at least 2- 4 years before i sell it again. Also, does anyone recommend a certain year? I am working with a 4500$ budget. Thanks for the advice

Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM
2nd Gear

I've been a Honda guy since the day I got my license 17 years ago. Hell, I still have an Acura, so I know the feeling well.

I now have my first Audi. It's a 2001.5 (face-lifted) 1.8t. (FWD)

My car has 275,000 (ta quarter million) miles on it and not only does it run like new. It can stand next to any new car out today and still look good.......and even new-ish.

Oh, and I can also still smoke almost every loud *** Honda out there.......in my stock-ish "grown up car". I love the sleeper effect of my turbo Audi.

If you're going to buy something: Just make sure you buy something that comes with receipts and IMO, nothing older than a 2001.5. (B5 - (if you like that body style). Otherwise: nothing older than a B6.

GL w/ everything.

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 08-07-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Slightly off the topic but to your point of a "grown-up car", that's one of the things I love about my 540i. My A4 is a 2.8 with handling mods and corners well, but the MSport is my big-kid toy (I'm 39 and wanted something more in line with performance at my age). I love that it's somewhat stealthy, not screaming visually like my 300ZX, but able to smoke many cars out there with the AC on and a really nice sound system providing the soundtrack along with the V8.

As to the OP, good advice above - you can actually get all the B5 niceties as far back as in the 99.5 facelift car, but B5 prices being where they are, go for the 01.5 for the youngest car you can get in this generation, again along with as many service records as possible. By now almost any B5 should've had 2 timing services done and will likely have had, or will be about to need, wheel bearings in the rear as well as front control arms. If it's a 1.8T, consider the turbo as well - a lot of guys have them wearing out by 120k miles (although most of those are at higher boost than stock).

Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Iwantanaudi2002
Hey everyone!

I've always been a honda owner but i am looking to make the switch now. I have some questions that maybe everyone can help me resolve. The mileage on audi's i've been looking at have started 115,000 to 150,000. Some of the posts ive read on cl for these cars include what has been repaired such as timing belts etc; some even say that they have no repairs, which draws some concern. My main question is what does maintenance look like on '96 and/or '00-'02. Obviously, i know I should ask for carfaxes and what not, but say once i buy the car how often should i maintence it so it'll guarantee me a car that will last at least 2- 4 years before i sell it again. Also, does anyone recommend a certain year? I am working with a 4500$ budget. Thanks for the advice
You should be able to find a nice, unmolested 1999-2002, 1.8 turbo A4 within your budget. Should even have some left over for repairs. Don't buy a modified car! Someone else's problems will be sitting in your driveway. You can add h.p. when you get it. Careful of a slush box if you plan to modify that engine. OBTW you can't do much to the 2.8 V6 for increased power.

You will have to do some basic stuff no matter what you end up with but plan on a timing belt etc and probably some front suspension parts. If you are a fairly good do-it-yourselfer you will have no problems. There will be a pretty good list of smallish items that you will need to take care of but most of them are straight forward repairs. Use the forums. Lots of knowledge.

Buy a VAG/COM or make friends with someone who owns one. Codes are critical to diagnosis.

Make sure any Audi you look at blows very hot air on the heater setting. Older heater cores are known to plug up and you do not want to tackle that fix. Cold AC is fine but hot heater is a must.

Good luck!