B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking to buy

ok first post, I've searched a litte but haven't found much and if you guys have a FAQ sticky I missed it. As I'm going to be getting a new job I'd like to upgrade the vehicale I drive. I currently drive a 1996 ford ranger with 160,000 on it (I won't be getting ride of it I'll up using it as a project) and I want to upgrade to a car for the gas mileage and to have the creature comforts, you know AC, power windows, locks, ext. Now I'm looking to get an audi A4 b5 but I can't decide on a few things. First off which do you guys prefer the VR6 or the 1.8T. Now if I got the 1.8T I think I'd have to get a 5 speed but with the VR6 I think I might get an auto or 5 speed. Now I wanted to know if tiptronic was standard or optional on these models and could if I had the car tuned would they be able to firm up the *****? These may seem like noob questions but I don't know much about audis and I'm looking to get some info on them. Please if you have links to this material I can read on post them up I'd love to read but I don't know where to start. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Looking to buy

There is a very good Newbie starters guide. Just look on the forums for the A4.

The 1.8T is more or less the modding car. The V6 you can't to jack **** too unless you wan to dump 5 grand into a SC that gives you 90 more HP---To bad its not worth it. Anyways its just the matter if you want to mod or not. The 6 Cyl is horrible on gas take that from me, it just guzzles. The 1.8 i hear though is pretty decent. Get the 5 spd. Autos are for girls.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:01 AM

here it is, read this!

https://www.audiforums.com/m_700266/tm.htm

Old 03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

You know about an hour after I posted this I stumbled apon the Newbie guide in a thread. OK so the 1.8T is what I'm going to want. Now I'm reading and people mention that these 1.8T's need a lot of care and attention. I mean what kind of care are they talking about. I mean other than oil and other fluids and regular maintance what more does it need? In the guide it said to have an extra grand left over after buying the car for repairs? whats that all about.

Also looks like mod wise these engines are pretty standard as far as turbo motors go. the whole intake, exhaust, boost controller, and other tuning work can get you some good power without doing an extensive mods to the internals which is what I'm going to be looking for. I'm looking to have more power than stock, but still not worry about the engine blowing up. First thing I plan on doing though is getting some wheels and tires along with some way of lowering it. I saw some nice coil overs from Tein which from what I know is a good company how are they on these cars. Then I plan on turning the drivers seat into a cockpit, plenty of gauges to watch whats going on with the engine before I start to mod.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

This guide might help you with your purchase also - http://www.audiworld.com/model/

If you stay on top of the normal maintance for the car, you wont have any problems pending the person who had the car before you did the same thing.

If you are going with the 1.8t, I would get the ECU flashed before anything and unless you find one with sport suspension, I would lower the car before getting wheels. <-- Just my opinion on where to begin.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

ok what do you mean get the ECU flashed? Are you talking about have a chip put in or it tuned? If so I know its the best bang for the buck but wouldn't doing a few mods first give me even more power if I got the chip done last? I'm not going to pay $500 for 40 hp and then pay $500 for it to be tuned again after I do a few mods. Also are there O2 simultors for these cars. People take there cats out so I'm wondering what you would do about the check engine light being on? I'm really excited about these cars I just want to make sure they aren't a money pit (more so than cars are in general). I've never owned a turbo vehicale before so I'm extremely excited about that. Thanks for all your help, thats probably the best mewbie guide I've ever read. I can't stop looking through it and everything.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Yes - I mean getting a chip. You don't have take my advice in modding your car....it will be your car, but that is just how "I" would have done it. Plus...I thought you were going to be pouring your money into the ranger...not the audi. As for the "non foulers" for running a test pipe...there is a DIY here on the forums for it.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

well no the ranger won't be getting a "Ton" of my money but the audi needs a few things to make it so I'd really enjoy driving it every day. The ranger will be getting some good money put into it as I won't be driving it every day so I'll end up tearing it apart and putting it all back together. BUt how come a chip first and then other mods after? I mean shouldn't I do the other mods first so the chip can support it?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

I guess that it all depends what kind of mods you want to get is going to drive this answer man.... if you plan on getting a bigger turbo....then wait. If you are going to stick with the stock turbo - you wont have to worry about having the chip supporting it. I got my chip (apr) before I got the HFC and cat back exhaust and before the fmic too. I called the place that installed it (2benett) after getting that stuff and the told me I didn't need to get ir re-mapped. 6 months after putting the exhaust on, I got a CEL pointing to a catalyt defiency. I had 2bennet reflash it then (for free mind you) and I didn't feel a difference as far as performance.
Anyway dagger - I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it your way. Your way sounds likea great plan....especially if you have the financial means to do it that way.

So it there a car that you have your eye on yet?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

oh I hope you don't think this is all happening at one time. LOL. This is just upgrade I want to do to the car. The basic plan of everything. If its not going to change the performance then it will be the first. i mean its going to give the best power, best bang for the buck. I don't plan on upgrading the turbo. This is going to be my DD, I just want something thats going to give me the performance I'll be happy with and that will be able to beat those honda ricers. Man how I loath them.

As for the car I'm sure its going to be a 1.8T with a 5 speed. After the research and help you guys have given me the 2.8L doesn't really have anything for me. I really want to get a car with that pearl white paint, that would be the best that I want. From what I understand the 1.8T come with a fake leather seats which I know can come with a package to get heated seats. Living up here in the north thats something I'd really consider. I'm not sure about what else I'd want. I don't konw if the sport package would be worth it for me as I plan on taking care of the suspension and the wheels myself so it might end up being a waste of money. I really like these cars are they look sporty but still have that luxery touch to them.