B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

location of starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help. I don't know how it slipped my mind earlier. But I got the car out during my lunch break and took it to an advance auto parts and had them hook up to it to test the starter/alternator/battery. When the guy was looking at it I started the car and it happened to be one of the times where it just fires up.. He said that the starter was fine. I don't know if this means that the starter actually is working properly or that he just couldn't see a problem on his machine because the car started right up.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:22 PM
4th Gear

well, you'd want to test it when it's not working.

If you turn the key, and get 12 volts at the starter terminals, but no start, then you know its the starter. They do start to "stick" when they are on the last leg, and can be intermittent like you describe. When they stick sometimes you may get clicking, sometimes nothing at all.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Hmm I see now so I guess I will try to make a list of possible problems and hopefully figure out ways to narrow it down, hopefully my car will be at my house next time it stops working and I can take it apart there to test the starter. But so far I have that it could be a faulty ignition switch, a bad starter relay, a half broken solenoid trigger wire, or the starter itself. Thanks for the help so far and if anyone can give any info for any other possible problems or ways to test any of the problems i'm already looking for, it would be greatly appriciated. I'm trying to diagnose and fix this problem myself I'm not exactly familiar with every system on this car, but I think I should have skills to do what I need to do for this fix. Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM
4th Gear

There is also a recall on the ignition switch (not sure about the years for this
), could be the culprit also. If you turn the key, and you're NOT getting 12 volts at the starter, then you can start looking at those possibilites, rather than the starter.

The switch was a recall, so Audi will replace it for free.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zer017
bump. could someone help out with this topic? I'm having the same issue with my 2000 a4 1.8T. The car will start intermittently and it runs fine once the car has started, but ocassionaly it wont start at all, (no clicking noise, no turn over, nothing, the stereo and all the electricity works when the key is turned but no start). Half the time it starts fine and no other problems. I'm thinking this is the starter, but will the starter work like this (cut in and out) or is it more likely to be a bad wire somwhere around the starter? Thanks a lot.
i had some problems with my car not turning over, but i figured out it was clutch safety switch.. i would have to have the clutch pressed hard to the floor for it to engage.. I dont know what happened, because i never adjusted it or replaced it, it just started working normally again. I would definitely look into that possibility. It was driving me crazy at first, because it literally started doing it out of nowhere and i was an hour from home with no tools or anything. maybe try pulling that panel down from under the dash, and see if the switch is loose or something?