B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Limp mode disabled

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:48 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Limp mode disabled

Is it a Transmission problem? Is the transmission display flashing or is definately misfiring? Ignition coils are a common problem and not that expensive to fix. The transmission on the other hand is very costly. Do you know what is throwing it into limp mode??

Old 05-02-2008, 03:51 PM
5th Gear

how do you know the cams are damaged?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

My mechanic had a good look at them, he also figures that at one point my oil pump malfunctioned and Cylinder 2 (where my missfire is) was without oil for a short time and took a beating.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Crunk:
I have no signs of a transmission problem and I have tested all the usual suspects for a missfire (coil packs, injectors, ICM, plugs, ect)

Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

Are you getting a misfiring CEL on Cylinder 2?
What is the Mechanic telling you that needs to be replaced? Is he an Audi Certified Mechanic?
Do you know What CEL codes it is giving?

When you say Limp Mode, to me that means that the computer modules are not connecting and it's making your car go into a safe mode to prevent further damage until you can get it to the shop.
Now if it was the transmission with a flashing display, there is a way to get it out of Limp mode and a way to reset the drive cycle ( which is a temporary fix ) ...but as far as misfiring, that is something that is only going to get worse. I would Change out the ignition Coil on atleast Cylinder 2, unless you are getting a different CEL code.

Everyone hates those high and unexpected repair costs, but if you own an Audi....you should plan on about spending about $3,000 a year in maintance. The car is only as good as it has been maintained.
I suspect you are not the 1st owner of the car and it may not have been maintained properly and you are catching the blunt of that. As far as your Mechanic goes......If they are an Audi mechanic.....he should know based on the CELs what is wrong and how to reset the codes and a possible temporary solution for you....If not, get a new mechanic, or a New car!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:23 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: luke30

Crunk:
I have no signs of a transmission problem and I have tested all the usual suspects for a missfire (coil packs, injectors, ICM, plugs, ect)
tested how?

i just dont think your mechanic knows as much as you think he does. did he physically remove the cams? if he did why not swap them out? it wouldn't have cost much more. and how does he know cyl 2 is messed up? compression check?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

ORIGINAL: luke30

Crunk:
tested how?

i just dont think your mechanic knows as much as you think he does. did he physically remove the cams? if he did why not swap them out? it wouldn't have cost much more. and how does he know cyl 2 is messed up? compression check?
My point exactly !

When someting goes wrong with my car, My Mechanic explains everything to me, and has a great level of confidence in what is wrong and what it will take to fix it. Ask questions! test him on his knowledge. I won't let just Joe Blow work on my Audi ....... you shouldn't either! make sure he is ASI certified. Get a second opinion, or Hell, atleast...Go to your local parts store and plug it up and get the CEL codes and look it up ! Why is it that you know so little about what is wrong with your car....especially after having a mechanic look at?????

Old 05-05-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

Well i will try and get a 2nd opinion. I do trust this mechanic, I really doubt that he is an audi certified mechanic however. I have had the codes read and all I got was a missfire in cylinder 2 (although it was just a generic scan...not vagcom or anything). Dealership is a 4 hour drive!
The missfire is deffinatley not coil packs (swapped them out, and disconnected), same for plugs, new ICM.
He did do a compession test and it was low in cylinder 2 but not way too low.