B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Limp mode disabled

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Limp mode disabled

To make a very long story very short; My 97 A4 1.8T is in limp mode and I would like to free the car without really fixing the car. Is this possible?

For those who will undoubtably ask 'why would you do this?' :
My car is not worth much right now, is always breaking down, and needs serious repair to be working well. At this point, it is more economical for me to drive it into the ground. However, when I am driving it into the ground I would like to have some acceleration! Is there a way to manually over ride this LIMP mode?

Any ideas are welcome! Thanks.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Limp mode disabled

well what is putting your car into limp. i know when mine would overboost and go into limp before the revo II. i could just disconnect the battery and reconnect and do a Throttle body alignment and i would be fine.... until it overboosted again

Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 PM
5th Gear

i would tell you, but i dont like the idea of you "running your a4 into the ground" so you can look it up yourself

Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

If your car is in such crappy shape, you should give me the right front headlight squirter cover in exchange for this info. I know how to do it, but I also need a squirter cover. Catch my drift?

But seriously, get an OBDII code reader. It can erase the codes until whatever is causing it to go limp happens again. If it is a cylinder misfire, it will probably come back in a matter of minutes. If it is something wierd and electrical, it might never come back. But, the plus side is it will also tell you what is wrong with your car so you can actually be somewhat responsible and put your machine back together.

I'll send you a PM with my address so you can get that cover in the mail.

Thanks,

Cory

Old 04-30-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

diode mod, i also would like the headliner and some seats.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

There is damage to the camshafts which is causing a missfire at idle. So it likely wont help to clear the codes.
Thanks ryansonfire for the input
Not sure, crsf29, where you got the idea that I was parting out my car. I would appreciate you letting me in on your solution however.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

Ill buy your passenger mirror

Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

Just read up on the diode mod and it seems that will only help me stay out of limp mode in the event of overboosting. What about limp mode being caused by a missfire?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:45 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Fix the misfire, or buy a new car. Perferably a Civic because you shouldn't have an Audi.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Tell me about it CLX! My car never works. I have put so much money in it since I bought it and it just never ends, I didnt even get to drive it this winter because it was always in the shop. You name it and I replaced it, I just cant keep up anymore, im done dealing with it. If I could sell the car for even $4000 I would in a heart beat!

To fix the missfire means spending more than the car is worth, to only have more repairs down the road (that I will not be able to afford). So can anyone answer my question without asking for parts or telling me that I should not have an audi?

Quick Reply: Limp mode disabled