B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

lets work out the quirks, before we style it! :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Couple of tips I learned when doing mine:

1. Wait until you're almost out of gas to do it. You have to loosen the straps that hold the gas tank to the body in order to get the filter out, and you're liable to drop a nut trying to lift the gas tank back up if it's full. Ask me how I know.

2. Break the banjo bolts loose with a wrench, but finish taking them off by hand WHILE LOOKING AWAY. There may still be some pressurized gas in the lines and it tends to get out in a hurry. Best not to be staring at it when that happens. Also, but some kinda bucket or pan under the filter. Again, ask me how I know.
Noted...thanks

Originally Posted by McGovs2.7TB5
Can you turn off the ESP in yours? Even my S won't do snowy doughnuts with it on, the Tip tranny isn't helping either.
I do not believe so, I do not see a button for it...

Originally Posted by hartsoe1
i did my fuel filter without dropping the gas tank. I actually tried to break the plastic filter holder but couldn't, so I just pry barred the heck out of it and got the filter out and the new one in. It is so tight in there the filter isn't going anywhere. and I got sprayed in the face when breaking the first banjo. an extra set of hands will help greatly when you have to tighten the banjos back up.

this is not like changing a Ford fuel filter at all.
Yea ford filters are cake lol...

Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Legal Moderator

someone correct me if im wrong but arent the only a4's that came with esp 2001.5's? i know manuals dont have esp until 01.5. my car will do donuts all day long. hell if its even a little wet i loose traction in first gear. that extra couple hundred horse is nice

Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
someone correct me if im wrong but arent the only a4's that came with esp 2001.5's? i know manuals dont have esp until 01.5. my car will do donuts all day long. hell if its even a little wet i loose traction in first gear. that extra couple hundred horse is nice
I think so, S4s were the same 2001.5 got the button added. I didn't see where stated the year on his so I wasn't sure. The 5 spd shouldn't need to turn ESP off to do snowy doughnuts, tip is another story.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 AM

I did snowy donuts last year, no ABS in the snow makes snow driving ten million times better

Old 12-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
no ABS in the snow makes snow driving ten million times better
you cant be serious. my car is literally a deathtrap without abs. i could tell a couple stories, but all fours love to lock up and just slide till i hit something.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:39 PM

I found it more favorable, Just have to drive different. xHave to manage the slide, way better than the brakes being all gay

Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

My baby is a 2000....I really do not know if I have esp or not...I know I do not have a button....All I know is it does not like donuts and even when i kick the back out it is not anything at all to straighten it back up. Its a tank and I love it. Although I miss my Allroad...

Old 12-29-2012, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

Ok so something else here I'm sure isn't major but I have no clue what it is.... Same type of sound as I hear in the back you all said was fuel pump priming....I hear it in the dash as well.. Have always heard it I am just now posting about it lol...

Mostly when its cold...I do not believe it does it after 100% operating temps

Also someone told me fuel filters are anywhere from 30-70 dollars?!?! 0.o

Last edited by DDAMANTI; 12-29-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DDAMANTI
Ok so something else here I'm sure isn't major but I have no clue what it is.... Same type of sound as I hear in the back you all said was fuel pump priming....I hear it in the dash as well.. Have always heard it I am just now posting about it lol...

Mostly when its cold...I do not believe it does it after 100% operating temps

Also someone told me fuel filters are anywhere from 30-70 dollars?!?! 0.o
The sound you're hearing in the dash is likely your heater core. The slushing sound you hear is the core filling with coolant. Could be leaking or just an air bubble. There's a bleeder port on one of the inlet/outlet pipes at the top of the heater core that you can use to bleed off the air.

Quick Reply: lets work out the quirks, before we style it! :)