B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

lets work out the quirks, before we style it! :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Administrator

What codes were you getting?

It kinda sounds like you have a bad O2 sensor. That can cause the horrible gas mileage.

Also like mentioned, if you want something cheap, I'd go for a set of Depo/Helix E-Codes.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

as far as the bad gas mileage I would put a can of seafoam in the gas tank. It worked wonders for my gas mileage when I first bought my car.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Ok so coolant is flushed, thermostat is replaced, I have a set of headlights sitting on my bed waiting for install.

My next concern is this:

I have no snap from dead stop. from brake to gas I feel like it is a turd bucket. Is this a feature on the car to prevent traction lose? lolol...I mean I know its just a little 1.8 but come on even 1.8 integras scoot off the line lol

Can you all give me some things to look into to maybe repair this or maybe give me a direction.

D-

Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rx7efini
as far as the bad gas mileage I would put a can of seafoam in the gas tank. It worked wonders for my gas mileage when I first bought my car.
Did that....reluctantly though cause hear say informs me seafoam eats lines and shat

Originally Posted by kriptonik
What codes were you getting?

It kinda sounds like you have a bad O2 sensor. That can cause the horrible gas mileage.

Also like mentioned, if you want something cheap, I'd go for a set of Depo/Helix E-Codes.
ok cool I will put this on my list....Stupid question here....Fuel Filter in the back of the car? Or is it new enough for it to be in the bay?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
For OEM parts, I've had lots of good experience with Blauparts, MJM, and ECS Tuning. The latter is known for over-charging on shipping though, so you would be wise to wait until you need enough stuff to make the shipping worth it. Shokan is a rip off, but sometimes they're the ONLY place that has what you need, especially if it's a random or discontinued part.

As for gas mileage:

- As Sheasta mentioned, change your fuel filter. They're supposed to be done every 60k miles or so, but rarely are ever changed.
- What did you gap the new plugs at?
- What kind of gas are you using?
- What's your air filter look like?

You should be able to get >25mpg on a stock 1.8T. I average 25mpg around town and I drive like a dick lol.
Filter is on the list..
Um not sure what they were before I changed them but I did recommended gap on new ones
I use 93 all the time unless im on E and only near a sheetz.
Air filter looks fairly new...Id like to change it though to a K&N just so i do not have to change it again lol

Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

These cars are not fast stock. From the factory, the 1.8T was the "economy" motor and the 2.8 was the performance choice.

Don't try to compare an A4 to an integra. You have a 5 door 3,300lb+ entry level luxury grocery getter with a 4 banger compared to a 2 door sub 2,800lb relatively bare bones compact.

You will see a huge improvement by chipping the vehicle. Check out the FAQ for more info.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DDAMANTI
Stupid question here....Fuel Filter in the back of the car? Or is it new enough for it to be in the bay?
It's on the passenger's side of the car sort of jammed in amongst the fuel tank. Make sure you buy the Quattro version, as it uses banjo bolts. The FWD version is oriented differently and uses different connectors. Ask me how I know

Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
These cars are not fast stock. From the factory, the 1.8T was the "economy" motor and the 2.8 was the performance choice.

Don't try to compare an A4 to an integra. You have a 5 door 3,300lb+ entry level luxury grocery getter with a 4 banger compared to a 2 door sub 2,800lb relatively bare bones compact.

You will see a huge improvement by chipping the vehicle. Check out the FAQ for more info.
haha I know I know, But I'm saying...literally its snapless...I know I can not compare to the 2.7t Allroad either. Its hard for me to explain, you almost have to feel it. and Trust I would LOOOOVE to chip it. I have speed in my blood lmao.

Originally Posted by CCA4
It's on the passenger's side of the car sort of jammed in amongst the fuel tank. Make sure you buy the Quattro version, as it uses banjo bolts. The FWD version is oriented differently and uses different connectors. Ask me how I know
haha Awesome...thanks friend. I will get right on this.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 AM
5th Gear

rockauto.com

Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Awesome thanks

Quick Reply: lets work out the quirks, before we style it! :)