B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

lets work out the quirks, before we style it! :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 AM
1st Gear
Default lets work out the quirks, before we style it! :)

Soooooo some Dbag truck driver pulled out and smacked my Allroad...totaling it.....Forcing me to down size to an a4 Avant 1.8t.

Needed a car fast and this was a great deal so I thought why not lolol

Why Im on here:

Minor quirks I would like to work out.

My horrible gas MPG...I got better gas MPG in my twin turbo v6 Allroad than I do this little thing....

What I have done so far:

Replaced plugs
Replaced Thermostat(was stuck open)
Oil change
And cleared codes

That's one issue..Next is

I need a source for OEM parts new/used cheap. I need another headlight housing, tabs on mine were snapped off and left for dead lol

Next is Reverse slips:

When I put her in R...I feel it engage.....then three seconds later I feel it engage again but even harder. Is it toast or can we flush and repair?

Next:
I need to do my wheel bearings, but i can not find anyone who carries the bear puller tool.

Last issue(for now)...when I start car up...I hear what sounds like boiling water coming from the rear area. o.O wtf is that? lol

Name:  IMG_5242_zps44ce8796.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  196.1 KB
Name:  IMG_5241_zps0b852fd9.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  137.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5239_zpsb888046c.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  184.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5236_zps209d7900.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  166.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5231_zps18e079f1.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  121.5 KB
Name:  IMG_5218_zpsa1fe58f5.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  139.2 KB

Last edited by DDAMANTI; 12-17-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear

lol

I can't really help you, but this post was pretty funny.

I want to say the "boiling water" is either the fuel or the oil. I'm guessing the sound only happens on a cold start up.

I'm not sure what headlights you have, two-piece or one-piece, but Shokan might be one of your WORST options if you're looking for used OEM parts. Personally, I'd go with new eBay e-codes or the zine's classifieds so you have a good idea of what you're getting.

ECSTuning
Blauparts

Last edited by Skythe; 11-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

For what it's worth, the aforementioned seller has quoted me *triple* what other places want for OEM used parts the two or three times I've contacted them.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redmond1501
For what it's worth, the aforementioned seller has quoted me *triple* what other places want for OEM used parts the two or three times I've contacted them.
Well that changes things... I've never used them.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

I was treated extremely bad by Shokan...and wouldnt recommend them to my worst enemy ...I been eye balling ebay...we'll see....

and Im glad my post entertained you ..

Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by DDAMANTI
Soooooo some Dbag truck driver pulled out and smacked my Allroad...totaling it.....Forcing me to down size to an a4 Avant 1.8t.

Needed a car fast and this was a great deal so I thought why not lolol
Sorry to hear that and hope are ok, but welcome to the A4 community!

It helps if you put the full info of your car in your signature or profile. i.e. 1997 A4 1.8TQM (Quattro manual.) There are some big differences between the early and late B5s.

It sounds like you have an auto?

Why Im on here:

Minor quirks I would like to work out.

My horrible gas MPG...I got better gas MPG in my twin turbo v6 Allroad than I do this little thing....

What I have done so far:

Replaced plugs
Replaced Thermostat(was stuck open)
Oil change
And cleared codes
How horrible are we talking? Have you replaced the coolant temp sensor?

That's one issue..Next is

I need a source for OEM parts new/used cheap. I need another headlight housing, tabs on mine were snapped off and left for dead lol
Headlight tab repair kits are available, pricey, but cheaper than a new housing.

Headlight Repair Tab, B5 Audi A4/S4, Left - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

Next is Reverse slips:

When I put her in R...I feel it engage.....then three seconds later I feel it engage again but even harder. Is it toast or can we flush and repair?

Next:
I need to do my wheel bearings, but i can not find anyone who carries the bear puller tool.

Last issue(for now)...when I start car up...I hear what sounds like boiling water coming from the rear area. o.O wtf is that? lol
When I did my rear wheel bearings I just pulled the spindle and took it to a shop to have the new bearing installed. Call around and see if someone can do that for you.

So it sounds like you are Quattro then. That sound you hear from the rear is a little pump in the upside-down U shaped fuel tank that sends fuel from one side of the tank to the other over the driveshaft.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

"Boiling water" from rear is fuel pump priming i believe. Not an issue. Change your fuel filter too. I just did on my car and get noticeably better mpg.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

Awesome thanks everyone...yea Ill update now..

Did not replace coolant temp sensor...I was told to pick it up but forgot :/

well I put 20 bucks into....said i had 210 till empty....drove 10 miles...then it said i had 130 till empty lol. And my MTE gauge seems right on...as I ran it all the way to 5 miles till empty and didnt run out....In my Allroad I took it to 10 miles to empty and....ran out of gas LMAO!!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DDAMANTI

Did not replace coolant temp sensor...I was told to pick it up but forgot :/

Make sure you grab an extra o-ring and clip or two. If you drop either, you will have a hard time finding them.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator

For OEM parts, I've had lots of good experience with Blauparts, MJM, and ECS Tuning. The latter is known for over-charging on shipping though, so you would be wise to wait until you need enough stuff to make the shipping worth it. Shokan is a rip off, but sometimes they're the ONLY place that has what you need, especially if it's a random or discontinued part.

As for gas mileage:

- As Sheasta mentioned, change your fuel filter. They're supposed to be done every 60k miles or so, but rarely are ever changed.
- What did you gap the new plugs at?
- What kind of gas are you using?
- What's your air filter look like?

You should be able to get >25mpg on a stock 1.8T. I average 25mpg around town and I drive like a dick lol.

Quick Reply: lets work out the quirks, before we style it! :)