B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Leaking from front, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:06 AM
1st Gear
Default Leaking from front, any ideas?

Do not really know a lot about cars but i know leaking from front is never normal/good. I parked it last night, and noticed this morning there was a decent sized puddle around the front. Drove my other car to class, came bck and checked it out. it looks like its leaking from the from between the skid plate?. I cant notice anything looking under the hood. Its a steady drip on the drivers side front. I smelled it, its odorless and clear. Any ideas?
Oh yeah, turn it on no lights came on or anything besides the check engine (O2 sensor)

Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds like it could be coolant from the radiator temp sensor. Mine's slowly leaking from the same place, haven't had the time to tear into it and try to get it to seal properly. Take a paper towel or something and run it around the dripping area before it drips and verify that it is indeed colorless and odorless. The coolant should be pink, but its a light pink and can look colorless on pavement. If its green, which it shouldn't be, but if it is, it'll still be hard to tell that its colorless. To the best of my knowledge, there is no car fluid that is clear; coolant is pink, washer fluid is blue (or orange if you get the rain-x stuff like I do) PS fluid is a nasty brown like oil and brake fluid, so whatever it is, it should have some sort of color to it.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Yeah i took a look at it and seems to be coolant overflow. not sure why. I know its not the windshield fluid, i had orange, but just refilled it with yellow for the winter.I did check it with a paper towel, and it really does seem to be clear. Still is dripping, I am going to wait a day and see if i goes away?not sure if there was just a good maount of water build up on the skid plate and its leaking. No idea

Old 11-12-2009, 02:13 PM
4th Gear

So whats the coolant level?

Has it rained there recently?

I think you are gonna have to remove the skid plate and take a look..

Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

It rained 2 daays ago thats all. But its a leak thats for sure. I am not familar with these that well, but there is a hose in the font that just leads to no where. This looks like where it is dripping from. is this just the coolant runoff?if so is this a big deal? i check my coolant level and if anything its a little low. but still in the max fill area..any ideas before i start taking things apart

Old 11-13-2009, 01:02 AM
4th Gear

Dont know the hose your talking about.. on my 2.8 the oveflow hole is in the center of the expansion tank and just drips down - no hose. I think yours is different though.

Follow that hose and see..

Old 11-13-2009, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem which led to me replacing the heater core (actually just finished it today).

Mine was leaking from the receiving heater core coolant hose where it connected to the engine. It was a very slow leak as you've described. I would park the car and come out in the morning to a small puddle.

It was dripping down from the hose onto the transmission and partially onto the noise insulation panel (what you call the skid plate).

Old 11-13-2009, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Ill take a picture of the hose in the morning when its light out. if you look into the bottom of the front bumper ( there are gaps in it,very small) you can see a hose or something about the size of a nickel around and just leads facing the outside of the car. never seen it before. maybe im just dumb but feel like it should be leading somewhere