B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

labor hours for tb/water pump & VC gaskets, cctg?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

$911.95!!!!!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rltucker45
$911.95!!!!!
Some context would be nice...

If this refers to how much, a independent shop is charging you for a timing belt job, that's ridiculous. You might as well, go to a Audi Stealership for that kind of money.

The sole purpose of going to a indy shop for repairs, if because typically they have lower prices than a stealership of the car manufacturer.

100-200 dollars less than a stealership, isn't a deal!

Old 09-23-2013, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

Sorry...just a little thrown back by the price..He said it was pretty dirty in there alot of sludge build up from PO that he cleaned up. Also fixed some connecter thing, which I knew was broken. 600 for the timing belt and 300 for the gasket sets. I think I should be all set with the high priced jobs at this point...I hope!

Last edited by rltucker45; 09-23-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

Ok...so yesterday I notice some coolant dripping on the ground, take a look under there and all I can see is dripping coming from my oil filter area. Well I called the mechanic he said to drop it off tomorrow morning. I picked the kid up from school parked it and the little drops are no more, it's like a puddle under there after 10 minutes of driving. WTH is the problem now???

Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

Ok...so yesterday I notice some coolant dripping on the ground, take a look under there and all I can see is dripping coming from my oil filter area. Well I called the mechanic he said to drop it off tomorrow morning. I picked the kid up from school parked it and the little drops are no more, it's like a puddle under there after 10 minutes of driving. WTH is the problem now???
I'll tell you what the problem is, the MECHANIC! This guy seems to be milking you, every single chance he gets. He always leaves something screwed up, so you need to come back and charge you for something else!

How can he just finish doing such major work on your car, then once you get a back, another issue comes up? any good mechanic will see other issues and bring it to the owner, while other work is being performed.

I think he is even going as far to sabotage your car, so you can keep coming back for repairs and charging you.

I suggested that you bring a man along with you but i guess you didn't take that advice.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

The thing is here my oldest son has been using this guy for a few years with his GLI. So I felt comfortable with him doing the work and to be honest the guy is pretty well known in the VW world in a sense. I will see how this goes tomorrow and yes I am bringing the BIG GUY(my other half) with me.I will post an update tomorrow.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

When I started to fix mine I ended up replacing everything. Anything I touched was worn out, old or just about to go. Tried to remove my oil filter- cooler spun, the cooling system and air injection, PVC hoses all turn to **** from heat and age. What do you expect after 10-12 years 90k+ miles? I had to chisel off the rubber air inj hoses. If you have not replaced it expect it to go. Coolant flange, hose to oil cooler, they all fail. One of mine was all soft from oil due to a cracked vacuum hose to the PCv valve. It's all plastic and rubber. Don't cry foul till you see what happened.

Just saying.

And speaking as a mechanic doesnt he deserve to get paid for his time and tools and knowledge ?.
We know all the info is here to DIY.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

My guess is that it something simple like a loose hose clamp. Remember he had to take lots of stuff off to do the job and he may have just simply overlooked something in the re-assembly. Wait to see before you jump on him. He should do the fix for free, however, since he failed or missed the leak in the first place. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

Update: all went well, it was a swollen hose that was up against a belt and it leaked, he fixed it right away with no charge. I am very happy with the guy's work and knowledge of the cars. I will go back to him without a second thought.