B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Keyless entry

Hi everyone!
I am new to this forum and pretty much new to the whole experience of forums.
About a Month ago I bought my first Audi. It's an 1996 a4 1,8T quattro. The former owner gave me two keys one of them is kinda thick (the handle part) and the other looks like a normal key. Now the car starts normally with both of them except sometime where the immobilezer light turns on but all I do is take the key out and put it in again and everything seems to work. Now to the questions I have. How do I know if there keys are original and how do I know if the car is fitted with the keyless entry module and only needs a key to program.
Note that the previous owner has fitted a push to start button and to start the car I have to turn the key to the acc and then push the button.
Any help will be much appreciated. This is my first post and my first Audi so please be gentle 😁
Thanks

Old 07-10-2016, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear

The keys are most likely fine. I would start with the push button wiring, especially if it happens with both keys.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
The keys are most likely fine. I would start with the push button wiring, especially if it happens with both keys.
It does happen with both of them but I found out if I let the key set in the ignition barrel for like 3 seconds it starts every time without a problem so it's probably a matter of timing. Never mind that. I would like to know if my car has the keyless entry module.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ari34
It does happen with both of them but I found out if I let the key set in the ignition barrel for like 3 seconds it starts every time without a problem so it's probably a matter of timing. Never mind that. I would like to know if my car has the keyless entry module.
Any idea on how to find out?
There is a small black bump on the dashboard and I suspect it to be the radio signal receiver from the key but am not sure.
The bump is in the medel of te air vents in the center of the dashboard.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear

The bump you're talking about is either a photocell, or a temperature sensor (I can't remember. It might be both).

Keyless entry is controlled by the CLS (central locking system), which is integrated into the CLP (central locking pump). On my car, that's located behind the carpet, at the bottom of the right (passenger) side rear quarter panel. If you open the trunk and look at the carpeted "wall" right behind the tail light, it's behind there, on the bottom, encased in a grey foam brick. You don't need to mess with that though. That was for informational purposes only, in case you ever need to find it.

Now that you know where that is, you can get underneath the car, right around where the pump is located (get under the car right where the fuel door is located) and if you have keyless entry, you'll see a (black insulated) antenna wire, about 3-4 inches long hanging down. Don't confuse this with the fuel door drain (which is a black rubber hose).

If you have a laptop and a VAG COM cable, you can use VCDS, or VCDS Lite to find out if you have keyless entry and you can also use it to program the key with the transmitter.

If you don't have a VAG COM cable, you can either buy the full VCDS Program from Ross Tech and a "proper" cable will come with it, or you can buy a cheap ebay cable and download the free VCDS Lite program. Both will work, but you're going to need one of these programs to reprogram any keys, unless you can successfully reprogram the key(s) by using the method described in the owner's manual, which I'm assuming you've already tried.

G/L

Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

The bump you're talking about is either a photocell, or a temperature sensor (I can't remember. It might be both).

Keyless entry is controlled by the CLS (central locking system), which is integrated into the CLP (central locking pump). On my car, that's located behind the carpet, at the bottom of the right (passenger) side rear quarter panel. If you open the trunk and look at the carpeted "wall" right behind the tail light, it's behind there, on the bottom, encased in a grey foam brick. You don't need to mess with that though. That was for informational purposes only, in case you ever need to find it.

Now that you know where that is, you can get underneath the car, right around where the pump is located (get under the car right where the fuel door is located) and if you have keyless entry, you'll see a (black insulated) antenna wire, about 3-4 inches long hanging down. Don't confuse this with the fuel door drain (which is a black rubber hose).

If you have a laptop and a VAG COM cable, you can use VCDS, or VCDS Lite to find out if you have keyless entry and you can also use it to program the key with the transmitter.

If you don't have a VAG COM cable, you can either buy the full VCDS Program from Ross Tech and a "proper" cable will come with it, or you can buy a cheap ebay cable and download the free VCDS Lite program. Both will work, but you're going to need one of these programs to reprogram any keys, unless you can successfully reprogram the key(s) by using the method described in the owner's manual, which I'm assuming you've already tried.

G/L
Dude you are awesome thanks a lot for the info. Am gonna check antenna cable first thing tomorrow.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear

lol. My pleasure.

G/L with everything. Let me know how it turns out and if I can help any further, let me know.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

lol. My pleasure.

G/L with everything. Let me know how it turns out and if I can help any further, let me know.
Sup dude? So I checked the car and it turns out I don't have an antenna or that is at least what I could see but pretty sure I would have noticed a cable hanging so yeah......
Next question is how hard would it be to fit one on my own and what parts would I need??
Thanks a lot

Old 07-13-2016, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear

I think the real question (and the question I should've asked first) is: Does your key fob have the "Lock" & "unlock" buttons on it?

If it does, then you definitely have keyless entry. That antenna is not very easy to identify. If your key fob does indeed have those buttons, then look in the owner's manual and it will have instructions on how to reprogram the key, using the driver's door lock.

LMK how it goes.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

I think the real question (and the question I should've asked first) is: Does your key fob have the "Lock" & "unlock" buttons on it?

If it does, then you definitely have keyless entry. That antenna is not very easy to identify. If your key fob does indeed have those buttons, then look in the owner's manual and it will have instructions on how to reprogram the key, using the driver's door lock.

LMK how it goes.
I don't know how to post pictures on here. I would have showed you the pics I got today of the underside in hope to examine them later. Anyway I have normal keys. One is kinda thick and awkward and the other is a normal key. The thick one has a red thing on the top right side i don't know what the hell that is.
So yeah I don't have any key fob with buttons but the former owner said that it may have the system. I don't know, this is just one big mess.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry