B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Key question PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

new fob for 75is awesome. my local dealership told me 150 or soemthing..

Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

wait just the fob??? lol no key? and a remote and key together is like $150 at a dealer..

Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

ahh ok, ya i think i asked them for both, cuz when i bought my car i didn't realize i had extra keys. so i called the dealership to figure out a price.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

yea its kind of exspensive but its funny cause my "badass switchblade" key gets as many compliments as my car.. and chicks dig those keys lolz! like if im with a chick and she is annoying me and wont shut up i'll smoothly pull out my key and kind of play with it then she will see it and go "ooooooooh 8 0" lol then i hand it over and they shut up but i dont let them play to much they probably would break the damn thing. but you slowly slip the key out of their hand and slip something else for them to play with and it all works out!! hahhaa

Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

Wow, SICKB5. Wow. You apparently don't think very highly of women.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

its a joke man, lossey goosey, lighten up. im not that low jeez but girls really do like the keys its just funny

Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear

hahahahaha i totally get what ur saying, it does work.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:10 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4door
Hey guys sorry for the dumb question but im new to the audi scene and just purchased a 96 A4 2.8 from my older brother who has been storing his car at my house... he moved back to michigan a while back and sold me the car last week. but he lost the keys ( mind u the only keys) to the car and i have been calling around to see what its gonna cost to replace it. problems is.. i have no idea what the key looks like. i see people talking about a key fobs and switchblade keys and have no idea where to start. do i buy a blank switchblade key? do i need a new fob? if anyone has a 96 A4 that could post some pics of their key id greatly appreciate it
It seems some of these guys replying don't know about your year of car. You have a 1996, which WILL NOT WORK WITH OR NEED a flip key aka switchblade. ALL YOU NEED is a simple metal blank, Ilco, a common key maker makes them and they work fine for $3! But since you don't have an existing one to copy you probably have to go to the dealer to get one made. This WON'T cost 150 because it's not a flip key, it's not even a center cut key (the groove in the middle type) it's a SIMPLE sidecut key like the one for your house. You also DONT need a remote. Remotes came with very few 1996 cars and even if yours had that option it's not necessary to go through the effort to get a remote and program it, just get a key, it's a cheap key a piece of metal and plastic with no electronics. I'll send a picture of mine if you pm me your email. Hope this helps!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

wow thanx! thats exactly what i was looking for. but u said that a switch blade type will not work at all? im not worried about it if not i just woant to be ale to start and lock/unlock this thing. so u know if the dealer can cut a key with just a vin? BTW pm sent and thanx again

Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

alright guys i have a new idea lol. i found a 2001 a4 on craigslist being parted out.. could i use that key/ignition/door lock and use it in my car? i know its a lot of work but the guy said he'd take like 60 bucks for everything. but its a 1.8 quattro... shouldnt make a difference right? everyone around here (tampa) wants 120 and up to make a key and im done with it all. i was about 2 secs away from just jabing a screw driver in the ignition and haveing a whole tool box full of keys

Quick Reply: Key question PLEASE HELP