B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Just wanted to share a great HID kit i got for my A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Can i use HID with those headlights?

Last edited by Eaglerock; 03-31-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
If regular reflector headlights didn't have cutoff points they would blind everyone in front of you, they'd essentially be high powered flashlights. Projectors have a much sharper cutoff than reflectors, which is why they're required for HIDs. Just a little fyi.
Just a little FYI Mad Cow, reflector headlamps do not have a cut off line as kriptonik was referring. The light beam is generated by the reflector housing or the by the lens and depends on how it's molded to achieve the required light beam. The headlamps is further aimed to direct light towards the ground instead of higher. Some bulbs do have a heat shield on the bulb itself which intends to block light beams from going upwards, but again, the light pattern depends on how the reflector or lens is molded.

Projector headlamps on the other hand, have a shield in front of the reflector but before the projector lens which generates a sharp cut off line in order to avoid light beams from going upwards.

I researched this extensively before I installed my HID's and I figured I would put the correct info out there for everyone's benefit.

Here are the diagrams for the different light setups:

Reflector Optics:

Lens Optics:

Projector Optics:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

Eaglerock, you can put HID's on those, I have that setup, you only need to drill a hole through the back caps, please search the forums, there's plenty of tutorials on how to fit HID's and please do not install them for your high beams, not only is it illegal but you can cause accidents by blinding someone in oncoming traffic - NOT COOL!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

Wow I learn something new every day, but I guess in a practical sense reflectors do have cutoffs because the light doesn't go above a certain point, that's pretty much what I was referring to.

And +1 on no HIDs in high beams, they take time to warm up and turning them on and off suddenly (flashing someone) often kills the ballasts.