B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

just totaled my A4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Guru

It'll buff out

Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Can I have the front bum....how about the hoo.....dibs on a fend.....selling the radia.....stubby mirror?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Can I have the front bum....how about the hoo.....dibs on a fend.....selling the radia.....stubby mirror?
take the whole thing if you want. it hurts me going into my garage to look at the car. I just did the timing belt, new tired and spend a ton of money fixing other maintenance issues.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

Holy damn, I can tell you're from Cali. No crusty rustyyyyyy!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Aud1A4
take the whole thing if you want. it hurts me going into my garage to look at the car. I just did the timing belt, new tired and spend a ton of money fixing other maintenance issues.
he is being funny

are you parting out tho other than like 40% of the car looks decent and i need a grey drivers seat...

Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
he is being funny

are you parting out tho other than like 40% of the car looks decent and i need a grey drivers seat...
i have no interest in parting it out because i need another A4 asap. I go to school and work part time so dont wanna hassle with shipping / meeting up with people to make a buck off a few parts.

BIN $1300

Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

a few people from craigslist ask me if im interested in repairing the vehicle for about 1600
the guy looked aroud the car and sounds like he knows what hes talkin about

from looking at these pics,..is the car worth repairing???
let me know guis!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Tech Guru

As a former bodyman, no. As an enthusiast, it'd be a labor of love. If you have all the spare parts on hand, and feel like bending those subframe bumper mounts back into place, you can try for it. Just remember that collision repair specs state all German vehicle tolerances and clearances MUST BE WITHIN +/- 0mm. That means whatever you have to bend and straighten has to be as straight and true as factory for it pass inspection, providing your state makes cars get inspected. If your state doesn't, I don't know what the rules are.

For states that inspect: After an insurer "totals out" a car, it receives an "R" title. That means the title is branded to mean the car has received damage that far succeeds the price of the vehicle. If you were to fix the damage most states require you get a special inspection that's even more thorough than a regular inspection to make sure all the damage was repaired properly. If the vehicle fails inspection then you get it back with a list of everything that was wrong and you get to go back and try to fix it again.

Bolt/frame/suspension tolerances are as follows:

German vehicles: +/- 0mm
Japanese vehicles: +/- 3mm
American vehicles: +/- 5mm

All the tolerances are based off of factory tolerances, and safety specs, that are given to shops for frame/body/suspension bolts.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by airguard350
As a former bodyman, no. As an enthusiast, it'd be a labor of love. If you have all the spare parts on hand, and feel like bending those subframe bumper mounts back into place, you can try for it. Just remember that collision repair specs state all German vehicle tolerances and clearances MUST BE WITHIN +/- 0mm. That means whatever you have to bend and straighten has to be as straight and true as factory for it pass inspection, providing your state makes cars get inspected. If your state doesn't, I don't know what the rules are.

For states that inspect: After an insurer "totals out" a car, it receives an "R" title. That means the title is branded to mean the car has received damage that far succeeds the price of the vehicle. If you were to fix the damage most states require you get a special inspection that's even more thorough than a regular inspection to make sure all the damage was repaired properly. If the vehicle fails inspection then you get it back with a list of everything that was wrong and you get to go back and try to fix it again.

Bolt/frame/suspension tolerances are as follows:

German vehicles: +/- 0mm
Japanese vehicles: +/- 3mm
American vehicles: +/- 5mm

All the tolerances are based off of factory tolerances, and safety specs, that are given to shops for frame/body/suspension bolts.
thanks for the quick informative response. ill take this into consideration with my decision.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

Just to update yall....i just sold it for 1200.

junk yards would only pay 4-600 for my car and this lady called (from an ad on Criagslist) and had her boyfriend came over and looked at it for literally 10 seconds and bought it.

my insurance only had liability so i was not covered for the wreck vehicle.

its really really sad watching my first car go but its on to the next one.

Quick Reply: just totaled my A4