B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Just need to vent a little

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear
Angry Just need to vent a little

Well folks, don't mind this thread too much, I just wanted to share what a lousy couple of weeks its been just to vent it out a little, as if venting will help anything but we can pretend.

So basically, everything started out about a month ago. My car started, quite literally, pissing coolant. Bad water pump seals. I had been planning to get the timing belt job done over spring break and much to my dismay, two weeks before spring break is when it got to the point that coolant was coming out just about as fast as I could put it in. Finally, after two weeks being Audi less, got the timing belt job done, among a few other small things and everything was running perfect and though it cost me a grand and some change to get everything done (a good deal, for all I got IMO) I was satisfied.

Well, a couple days ago, I woke up to a flat tire. After about a half an hour's attempt at getting the spare on, I gave up. The wheel was corroded hardcore onto the hub and no matter how hard I kicked at it, it refused to budge, so grudgingly, I drove on the flat to my mechanic's, who fortunately was less than a mile away. He helped me get the wheel off and it became very apparent why I lost all the air over night; I had a crack about the size of the San Andreas fault in my rim. Awesome. A while back, I had hit a pothole pretty hard and it bent the rim, but not having the money to get it unbent, I kept driving on it; probably not the best idea because where it was bent was exactly where it cracked.

Well, $130.00 later, the rim is welded and unbent, but due to having to drive on the flat tire to get the damn rim off the car to put the spare on, now I'm out a tire as well, likely going to cost me ANOTHER $130.00 FML.

And to top things off, I went back to my mechanic's today to square off the last of my timing belt bill and had him clear my OIL indicator and while it was plugged into VAG-COM, he took a look at my fuel trims to make sure everything was copacetic and both banks are running ~ -14%, a sure indicator of a MAF issue so I get to drop another $200 on a new MAF sometime in the near future. The fortunate end of that, and disagree with me if you will, but as it is, the car still idles and drives great so the MAF issue isn't affecting anything too severely. Yet. So I don't mind pushing replacing that off as long as I can so I can save up some scratch first.

/rant

Old 04-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hate it when it seems like everything is not going right. Been the same way a little bit lately! Best of luck to you!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Site Moderator

I would just move this over to the off topic forum, but i don't wanna make your day any worse than it is LOL. Hope your week gets better.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear

Hm, what a bummer. But hey, it could be worse! It can always be worse.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear about what happened buddy. When it rains, it pours.

It's sorta true that our cars can be a pain in the butt when it comes to maintenance. But when the day everything runs great, the car looks clean, and it's sitting nicely on a beautiful day, it just brings a huge smile to my face.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik

It's sorta true that our cars can be a pain in the butt when it comes to maintenance. But when the day everything runs great, the car looks clean, and it's sitting nicely on a beautiful day, it just brings a huge smile to my face.
Exactly!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
I would just move this over to the off topic forum, but i don't wanna make your day any worse than it is LOL. Hope your week gets better.
lol thanks man, I hope it gets better too. To be honest though, I thought I was in the OT section so if you want to migrate it you can. Just goes to show how off my thought processes are with all this stress lol

On a side note, is what I said about the fuel trims/MAF accurate? That's what my mechanic assured me was causing them to read so off and he's usually pretty spot on with his advice, but it never hurts to get multiple opinions

Originally Posted by NickBroderick
Hm, what a bummer. But hey, it could be worse! It can always be worse.
Oh yea, it could definitely be worse, I hear that.

Originally Posted by kriptonik

Yea, it definitely pours when it rains. I was having extremely high hopes that I wouldn't have to put any more money into my car for a while after the timing belt job but I'll be damned, it only took a week...

+1 to running great and looking clean on a nice day, that definitely brings a smile to my face, always. Hopefully I'll see one of those days within the next 72 hours or less