B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is it just me or is the steering wheel "heavy" on the A4's? My PS pump seems fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Default Is it just me or is the steering wheel "heavy" on the A4's? My PS pump seems fine

I've noticed over the past year that I've had this car that my shoulders will ache after extended highway driving in my A4. When I first got the car, I noticed that the wheel felt very "solid" and the car had a "heavy feel" to it. I also feel like on the highway, I need to hang on pretty tight and the wheel transmits a lot of "feel" back up me.

I didnt think much of it until my girlfriend said the exact same thing and her shoulders hurt after a vermont trip.

Now my PS pump works just fine. I can one hand the wheel with light pressure and I dont particularly feel it pulling to one side so I dont think I'm out of alignment.

Are these cars just like this due to the AWD and sportier suspension?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator

I noticed that when i bought mine too, it gets worse in the winter time. I always figured it was because of the mineral-based PS fluid, but thats just a WAG. I've gotten used to it now though

Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM

I guess I just need to MAN UP so I can handle the Geh-man engineerink Ja!

=P

But seriously, I'm a coder/computer guy so my neck and shoulders are pretty stressed on a daily basis and the car isnt helping.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Guru

Yeah!! Nut up!! Personally I love the solid feeling of the wheel and it doesn't bother me at all. But then again I AM all that is man.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 PM
3rd Gear

It's a lot heavier than the minivan I used to drive. I like being able to feeeeel everything though, like I'm one with the car.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear

if you think about it you dont want the steering wheel to feel like its floating on an air bearing or something, where every slight bump in the road enough to move the steering wheel throws the car in one direction or the other. you want the tactile response of a solid wheel. still i dont find it hard to move in the least. and i love how there is zero slop in the middle.

its sort of the same principal with shift *****. you dont want an ultra light plastic one that can blow around in a stiff breeze, you want one that you can impart some momentum into but also stay in place when you need it. you would think that lighter = quicker shifts but that isnt the case at all.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator

^ i agree, i replaced my stock plastic/leather **** for a weighted stainless one and love it. still one of my favorite (and easiest) additions to the car.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:10 PM

Yeah, I used to drive a souped up mustang with a manual rack and pinion.... now 3 point turns in that were a sight to behold.....but I was also 10 years younger and oblivious to PAIN.

I guess I'll just slide the seat forward a bit to give myself some extra leverage.