B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

just installed new headunit, now I can hear my engine through my speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:34 PM
cbg
Default just installed new headunit, now I can hear my engine through my speakers

I just installed a head unit yesterday, for the first time. Took me a while to figure out what I was doing, but I got it all connected and it works. However, I can now hear a high pitched version of my engine as I accelerate. Tomorrow I am going to pull the head unit and double check all my connections, as I am sure that some of them are not as tight as I should be. Also I used electrical tape instead of crimp caps, I am going to replace them with crimp caps, but I don't think this has anything to do with it. Anyway, what is the problem here? I have been thinking about it and the only thing I can think is that the head unit is somehow affecting the alternator? I seem to have lost a bit of power but this may be in my head. Any suggestions?

Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: just installed new headunit, now I can hear my engine through my speakers

There is very slim to no chance taht the alternator has anything to with it and a new headunit wont have any ill effects on it either if i remember correctly from when this happened to me a wire may be touching something thats grounded or a connection is loose make sure you replace them ALL with caps or butt connectors then if your still worried then put tape around them thatll help keeping them from coming undone when you take it out again that should solve your problem

Old 04-12-2008, 12:32 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: just installed new headunit, now I can hear my engine through my speakers

I had that problem, ended up being a bad ground to the amp

Old 04-12-2008, 12:33 AM
SoCal Crew Member

when i did mine i had a similiar but more severe problem. turned out the RCA's on the new unit were crappy and evenafter replacingthem with better onesthe sound i get is not very clean. Clarion is not all its cracked up to be.

DO YOU HAVE BOSE???

Old 04-12-2008, 02:34 AM
cbg

I do have bose, the sound itself from cd is much better and louder than the stock tuner. the sound from the tuner in the head unit sucks, much more grainy. I was kinda rushed doing the install the other day (delivered at 1:30 had class at 3:30) so I was not able to spend as much time doing it as I would like, like I said Im going to redo the whole install tomorrow. I am just worried about how I can hear my engine through my speakers its wierd...I am sure its a loose connection, but how can that cause the sound? en amplified echo maybe?

Old 04-12-2008, 03:49 AM
1st Gear

yeah i have the same problem it kind of sounds like my turbo spooling (atleast thats what i tell people) but its just a ground problem from my amp just make sure thats all tight and no metal from the wires are showing to spike it

Old 04-12-2008, 10:27 AM

the problem with tuner static sound seems to be impossible to fix with aftermarket headunits installed on Audi cars.. so far from the forum seem slike most people who did installed one have the similar tuner problem, including me.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 PM
cbg

Yeah Ive read a few other posts about static, I guess it isnt that big of a deal since I didnt get a new head unit to listen to the radio, but still annoying.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:13 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: bigdyll

the problem with tuner static sound seems to be impossible to fix with aftermarket headunits installed on Audi cars.. so far from the forum seem slike most people who did installed one have the similar tuner problem, including me.
Mine sounds okay...

Old 04-12-2008, 03:07 PM

Sounds like a ground loop

How to test that you don't have ground loops:

Buy a digital clamp-on current meter. There should be NO current on any ground wire. None. If you can measure current flow on a ground wire then fix it: you either have a circular path or else a faulty piece of equipment.
(http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...udioracks.html)

Are you running to an amp to power the speakers? If so, you could try this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

Quick Reply: just installed new headunit, now I can hear my engine through my speakers