B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Just got my new key!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Hey Staticclism, I called the stealer and asked about getting a key with remote and how much will it cost with out programing. They told me it would be 140 and programing would be free. Can you give me the number of the dealer you got you setup from? Maybe I can get the same price if I call your dealer.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
you work there and they tried to charge you to do the work? are they dumb?
Tell me about it. I even asked the service guy if he was nuts. It was ridiculous.

Originally Posted by McGovs1.8B5
programming the key is so easy cant believe they wanted $55 for it. 2 minutes seems like too long even.

-stick key in ignition
-turn accessories on
-while in ignition and on hold unlock button for 15 seconds
-take key out and put in door
-lock with key
-while in door, hit unlock button and it should be good to go
The way I did it was different. I turned the key to "run" without starting, got out, locked the door manually with the blade of my new key, held both the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds, the car unlocked itself, and it worked. I hear it's supposed to honk and flash the lights when it works but mine didn't and it worked. Not sure what that's all about.

Originally Posted by flynnr
crazzzzzy they would try ti f their own employee... (must be jealous you drive an audi!!!! ) haha
That's my best guess! It's kind of sad, we're a Volkswagen/Subaru dealership, and nobody there except the two VW techs like Volkswagens at all. I ALWAYS get massive amounts of $#!t from everyone about driving an Audi and not a "high class, high quality" Subaru. It kind of makes me want to both laugh and puke. Can't stand Subarus, really. Before my Audi I hated Subarus but found them to be practical all-weather cars with their AWD, but now I find them all to be rather laughable save the WRX's. Sure they're faster than my car, but I'll take my car as a daily driver any day over a WRX.

Originally Posted by erirod
That is awsome bro, thanks for posting this story... I need a key as well, so I think I will order it and not have them program it. Will save myself a "century note".
j

No problem! From what I understand that's why we're all here! I've received an ungodly amount of useful and money-saving tips & tricks from these forums, I'm glad I can finally contribute something at least somewhat relevant!

Originally Posted by dark knight
Can ebay key work the same or need to buy from dealer?
Don't see why it wouldn't so long as the ID numbers are the right ones for your car with the transmitter - but the actual key part I'm not sure about. According to the dealership it had to be ordered by VIN from Audi, but that could easily be B.S. or due to the fact that we're a VW dealership and not Audi. But I'm not entirely sure on that one. Even if they could cut the key, I don't think I'd trust anything like this off eBay personally.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by erirod
Hey Staticclism, I called the stealer and asked about getting a key with remote and how much will it cost with out programing. They told me it would be 140 and programing would be free. Can you give me the number of the dealer you got you setup from? Maybe I can get the same price if I call your dealer.
The dealer I work for is a VW/Subaru dealership, and they "outsource" all their Audi stuff through a shop here in Missoula called "Mountain Imports", so they just ordered the stuff through them. They're a licensed Audi service center (which sadly enough is difficult to find in Montana) - their number is (406) 721-3395.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 PM

much appreciated information.. thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

No problem!