B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Just got back from the shop with a diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Just got back from the shop with a diagnosis

Hi Folks,
I have the squeaking sounds that happen while steering. Mechanic showed me the worn out bushings on upper and lower. he advises to get the complete arm kit. Also says I need a new drivers side axle and my motor mounts need to be replaced. He placed priority at control arms then axle and said the motor mounts should be done within a year. I do not have any experience with this and I was wondering if you had any feedback on how much of an emergency this or a safety issue. I need to save money, the control arm and axle job is estimated at 1750.00. I have a 01 A4 B5, standard tranny. Thanks for any info.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Administrator

If you can DIY, control arms are really not that bad of a job. A complete kit can be had for ~$300 from a few different places. The worst part of the job is the pinch bolt and that can be solved with fire and violence.

For axles, I have two bits of advice:

1. Replace the joints instead of the whole axles. The axle shafts never break and the joints are cheap and easy to change yourself.
2. If you're dead set on getting new axles, get re-man OEM or give Marty a call at Raxles. I replaced both of the half shafts on my GF's TT with Raxles and can't speak highly enough about Marty and his business. Top notch guy, great customer service, and you get a free knife . Whatever you do, stay the **** away from Chinese axles like EMPI and FEQ. They're $80 for a reason, and that reason is that they're complete dog ****. The axle shafts are often the wrong length and the CV joints are poop.

EDIT: Adding links.

CV joint kits from Blau parts

Raxles

Old 08-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Sponsor

Definitely take care of the axle and control arms first. A failed control arm ball joint could cause your steering to become unresponsive and cause your car to veer violently in one direction at speed.

I agree with CCA4 about replacing the joints. Its often cheaper and can easily be done in a garage.

We have control arm kits and CV joint replacement kits available PM me for a quote!

Jason

Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Just got back from the shop with a diagnosis

Thanks for the response, I am getting a second opinion on the condition on Saturday, I will mention your advice.