B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

just got a 2001 1.8tq =D

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Default just got a 2001 1.8tq =D

Before you read-this might be a long post cuz im really excited about my new car lol =D
So after 2 months of not having a car due to being involved in a hit and run accident involving my old baby (2002 Honda Accord Ex) got rear ended by a ford f250 when he was going 45mph and I was stoped.... I came across an Audi A4 1.8t quattro with 60,XXX miles on it for $10500, talked him down to $9000 cuz i had straight up cash. The car is black on black, 5spd, all stock, its a california car and only seen this one winter here in chicago, came with B6 a4 rims, and basically fully loaded. He told me he had snapped the timing belt and had his engine repaird by an audi dealership and he has all the receits for it. This is what was replaced by the dealership (I got all the original reciets and all the 100k mile warranty stuff signed on to my name now) - Head gasket - cylinder head bolt - timing belt kit - water pump assembly - thermostat assembly - exhaust valve - intake valve - breather hose - spark plugs. Also, the oils/coolant were also replaced. I took my mechanic to inspect the car and he said its in amazing shape. So basically my question is would i still have any 70k mile service to do? or basically its all already done? what about 90k service? So now basically I have $2000 left over after my accident with my Accord and Im thiking about getting a Forge007 DV, APR Chip (GRD Tuning is right down the street and they specialize in all wheel drive cars), H&R Racing Springs/Billsten Shock Combo, and a DIY intake. Im thinking I probably wont have enough cash left over for an exhaust so that will have to wait. What you guys think of my future set up for $2000? If you guys have any suggestions about different mods let me know, Im new to Audi but been lurking around for about 2 weeks for hours at night trying to read as much as possible cuz i hate being a noob =D been around cars all my life so i know wtf is up, but never ownd an audi, actually owned 3 hondas in my life already. Thanks for your help guys (if anyone even reads this long *** post haha) I will get some pics tomorrow or thursday whenever my gf comes over cuz she jacked my camera and its dark out already.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Default RE: just got a 2001 1.8tq =D

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like you found a great car with low miles. It seems like most everything has been done. If you look in your manual, you can find intervals for things that need to be done, and you can figure out if you need to do anything. DV, Chip and suspension is always a good thing to do, so I say you're on the right track, just don't rice it out like a honda...

Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 AM
5th Gear

how long ago did the tb snap? if it was recently, all the work was already done for you. they did the full tb job, replaced fluids, and you have a rebuilt head.

im guessing since you've been lurking you read the newbie guide already, but if not, click the link in my sig.

your on the right track with the mods, but you should have plenty left over after what you listed if u got 2 grand. but before i help ya out, are you gona be upgrading the turbo at all?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:42 AM
5th Gear

you should go custom cat-back exhaust. get your own piping, a magnaflow 14816 muffler and you're all set. piping and muffler should be about 250 at max. i think you'll have enough for the exhaust. you'll find that the a4 is alot more solid than the hondas you've owned. try it in the corners and test out the entrance and exit speed, it's pretty amazing. since the timing belt was done, you really don't need anything else till ~110k. have fun with the car man, and remember don't race anybody on the straight cuz you'll lose lol.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:46 AM

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

how long ago did the tb snap? if it was recently, all the work was already done for you. they did the full tb job, replaced fluids, and you have a rebuilt head.

im guessing since you've been lurking you read the newbie guide already, but if not, click the link in my sig.

your on the right track with the mods, but you should have plenty left over after what you listed if u got 2 grand. but before i help ya out, are you gona be upgrading the turbo at all?
On the receit it says that all the repairs were done 5 months ago. Im really thinking about keeping the stock turbo because I am still in college and I gotta pay for all my own ****. Im not crazy about going fast or what not so Im thinking the chip and better air flow from an exhaust should satisfy my needs. And from my lurking around Ive noticed that if i do go bigger turbo I will need to get a fmic and supporting mods for it. But if you got some better input for me then enlighten me, maybe it is worth it to go bigger turbo, im still a noob to audi =D so any feedback is appreciated.
ORIGINAL: hiwords
you should go custom cat-back exhaust. get your own piping, a magnaflow 14816 muffler and you're all set. piping and muffler should be about 250 at max. i think you'll have enough for the exhaust. you'll find that the a4 is alot more solid than the hondas you've owned. try it in the corners and test out the entrance and exit speed, it's pretty amazing. since the timing belt was done, you really don't need anything else till ~110k. have fun with the car man, and remember don't race anybody on the straight cuz you'll lose lol.
what piping should i go with? From my lurking ive seen 2.25 and 2.5, so basically any muffler shop will do? Cuz Ive heard of some shitty jobs some places do and I dont want my exhaust to hang low or rust in a month, any recomendations on shops?
ORIGINAL: S_R_N83
Welcome to the forums!

It looks like you found a great car with low miles. It seems like most everything has been done. If you look in your manual, you can find intervals for things that need to be done, and you can figure out if you need to do anything. DV, Chip and suspension is always a good thing to do, so I say you're on the right track, just don't rice it out like a honda...
Thanks for the help, gonna have to check the manual. And yeah Im not a honda rice kinda boy hehe, my accord was clean =P droped/rims/tints/indash TV no rice included haha.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:04 AM
5th Gear

alrighty then, this makes things much simpler. the cheapest BT is the gtrs and even that is gona set you back a few grand.

since you have an 01 you have a few options. you can either get a chip, or do the diode mod. The chip will set you back ~500, while the diode mod will cost around 200 including the supporting parts (mbc and boost gauge). The chip might have a few extra horsepower, but the diode is way cheaper. with that you will need a new DV. i'd suggest picking one up from the classifieds used (also check AZ and vortex classifieds). Forge dv's/bov's have a lifetime warranty so even if it breaks, forge will send you new internals to fix it. so lets add up what we have so far

diode- a few pennies
turbo xs hpbc- $110
boost gauge- $40
forge 004/006/007- $80-$100

and you said you wanted shocks and springs and a custom intake

shocks and springs- $600
custom cold air intake- $100

so that brings the total to 950 so far. you have plenty to get an exhaust. you can either buy an aftermarket one, or go custom. custom is much cheaper and the exact same thing essentially. expect to pay 250-400. get at least 2.5", 3" is better. and then you have enough left over to get test pipe (if you have no emissions) and a godspeed fmic or a water/meth kit.

and there you have it. a fully modded stock turbo setup for under 2 grand. and another good thing about this is you now have a good chunk of the supporting mods for a BT setup in case you want to upgrade in the future. you'll only need the turbo, tuning, injectors, maf, and fpr.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 PM

alrighty then, this makes things much simpler. the cheapest BT is the gtrs and even that is gona set you back a few grand.

since you have an 01 you have a few options. you can either get a chip, or do the diode mod. The chip will set you back ~500, while the diode mod will cost around 200 including the supporting parts (mbc and boost gauge). The chip might have a few extra horsepower, but the diode is way cheaper. with that you will need a new DV. i'd suggest picking one up from the classifieds used (also check AZ and vortex classifieds). Forge dv's/bov's have a lifetime warranty so even if it breaks, forge will send you new internals to fix it. so lets add up what we have so far

diode- a few pennies
turbo xs hpbc- $110
boost gauge- $40
forge 004/006/007- $80-$100

and you said you wanted shocks and springs and a custom intake

shocks and springs- $600
custom cold air intake- $100

so that brings the total to 950 so far. you have plenty to get an exhaust. you can either buy an aftermarket one, or go custom. custom is much cheaper and the exact same thing essentially. expect to pay 250-400. get at least 2.5", 3" is better. and then you have enough left over to get test pipe (if you have no emissions) and a godspeed fmic or a water/meth kit.

and there you have it. a fully modded stock turbo setup for under 2 grand. and another good thing about this is you now have a good chunk of the supporting mods for a BT setup in case you want to upgrade in the future. you'll only need the turbo, tuning, injectors, maf, and fpr.
Now that you mentioned that diode mod Ive been going crazy trying to find out what it is. Basically what I came up with (correct me if im wrong, been trying to squeeze to much info into my head at once) basically the boost of the car is running based on the voltage it recieves, the diode mod on the map sensor and sets the voltage to lets say 5 and keeps the psi under 18 or so. I came up with lemmiwinks as for tuning the air/fuel but did not come up with a price for such a program. maybe you can enlighten me on that a little.... basically my question is if I decide to do that I would then need lemmiwinks to tune the air/fuel? can i do it or would i need a profesional to tune it? Also, you mentioned turbo xs hpbc is that a boos controller? Thanks for the help, sorry for being such a noob =D haha

Old 04-30-2008, 04:46 PM
5th Gear

you kinda got it. it actually limits the voltage from the map sensor to the ecu, which limits the ecu to only seeing 11psi when your really running more (based off what you set the mbc at) and lets the other o2 sensor and maf take care of the fueling for the extra air/psi.

lemmiwinks is a free program from revo. and you can tune it yourself, you dont need a "professional"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1618056

and yeah the turbo xs is a boost controller

Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 PM

you kinda got it. it actually limits the voltage from the map sensor to the ecu, which limits the ecu to only seeing 11psi when your really running more (based off what you set the mbc at) and lets the other o2 sensor and maf take care of the fueling for the extra air/psi.

lemmiwinks is a free program from revo. and you can tune it yourself, you dont need a "professional"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1618056

and yeah the turbo xs is a boost controller
Thanks for all your help chaos =D was just wondering why not so many people go the diode route and prefer the chip? is there some reliability issues with diode? Thanks.